General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User silent_ninja
(learned) Mon 03-Feb-14 20:32:40
Print Post

Siwtching to Fibre: AC vs N router

[link to this post]

Hello all. Long time lurker!

I'm switching to Plusnet fibre from O2. I am going to buy my own router for the best wireless experience. Inevitably, the Asus RT-N66U seems highly recommended and I am pretty close to buying it. However, would I not be bet better off buying an AC router such as the D Link AC1750, especially considering the similar price? http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-Wireless-AC1750-Dual-...

Isn't it better to 'future proof' now. Afterall, I wont be changing the router for probably 5 years if history is anything to go by!

The DLink seems to have very favourable reviews and most of the features of the Asus. Are there any prominent features missing that are done well on the Asus. Will the higher power not mean I'd get better wireless performance on G/N?

I'll be attaching a USB drive quite often to the router, video viewing across various devices, Netflix/iPlayer most of the day (we dont use TV so much), gaming and of course torrents. 2 computers, 2 tablets, playstation, WDTV, 4+ smartphones. These are all used regularly by 4-8 people. The router will need to serve 2 terrace houses (that are actually converted to one) and it will be placed upstairs, because that's where the master socket comes in and it's handily out the way.

Any input would be appreciated! I need to buy it within the next 2 weeks.

Edited by silent_ninja (Mon 03-Feb-14 20:35:20)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Feb-14 23:06:46
Print Post

Re: Siwtching to Fibre: AC vs N router

[re: silent_ninja] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/76-as... In the same room 802.11n can go faster than VDSL2.

AC still has the problems of walls etc, so the faster routers are probably still going to have not-spots and 5GHz is blocked even easier by walls.

So real answer is that if its home wide coverage, then a decent router and a subsequent wireless access point located in a second location to get rid of not-spot would be best.

Not looked for the performance of that DLINK, but double check the WAN/LAN throughputs, some routers are fast in this respect but do not handle PPPoE very well while doing NAT.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Mon 03-Feb-14 23:27:24
Print Post

Yes, definitely go for a 802.11ac router you'll find that even your existing 802.11n devices will have higher throughput due to the higher power transmitters on ac routers. I've got a Linksys EA6900 (+ draytek 120) on my ADSL2+ line, very happy with it. If you must go for a Asus router then go for the highly rated Asus RT-AC66U, only 140 euros from amazon.de
http://www.amazon.de/RT-AC66U-AC1750-Diamond-Dual-Ba...
(forget about the newer AC68U - too many bugs)

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 5S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 03-Feb-14 23:28:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User silent_ninja
(learned) Tue 04-Feb-14 10:49:10
Print Post

Thanks guys. £116 + delivery for the Asus AC66U seems very good! That's practically the same price as the N66U. I presume everything else will be the same. I'm keen to use AI Cloud to access USB storage away from home.

Checked some reviews of the AC66U. The firmare seems a little buggier than the N66U?

Just look at the homeplug suggestion. It's a minefield. I want to be able to transfer files (videos) within the home, as well as improve wifi coverage. Suggestions?

Edited by silent_ninja (Tue 04-Feb-14 14:16:04)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 04-Feb-14 16:54:35
Print Post

AC is most defenitly better, if I was buying a router now I would get AC over N. Indeed I got an AC router last month.

If you got desktop pc's using powerline ethernet I would also buy AC dongles for them and switch to AC. Although gigabit ethernet still is top for performance.

shame common devices such as consoles are lagging behind massively on tech, really next gen consoles should have 5ghz AC included.
I own the AC66u and currently using the Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.35_4 (Merlin build)
Its very stable, more stable than my rt-n16 was (that occasionally self rebooted).

I used that as it has the latest pppoe driver which supports 1500 PPPOE mtu (was downgraded in newer builds), merlin has recently reupgraded the pppoe driver again in the latest build and added ipv6 fixes as well as gui support for RFC 4638 so I plan to switch soon to 3.0.0.4.374.39

http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin/changelog.txt
http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68//Asus...

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 04-Feb-14 16:59:41)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Feb-14 19:21:06
Print Post

If anywhere near 80Mbps on FTTC you need 500MBps homeplugs. It seems 200Mbps ones can't cope.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Feb-14 19:48:30
Print Post

I wouldn't even bother with homeplugs. I find they are all over the place. 200Mbps provide me around 30Mbps throughput and 500 ones give me a good 70 Mbps throughput. Problem is sometimes they just drop down to 1 or 2 Mbps and there's very little to identify what causes it.

I would personally setup 1 access point in the house. I'd either go for N or AC. I would then run an ethernet from here to another router. Set this up as a repeater. Having the two routers will serve you well in terms of range and throughput.

As an example having 1 AC router. In poor signal areas you will get very slow speeds but amazing speeds close up...
Having 2 routers, as most of the house will have a good signal, you will get decent speeds everywhere, If you choose wireless N, although nothing to scream home about it's plenty for 1080P video, downloading on multiple devices etc.

To keep costs down for now you could have 1 AC point and a budget N router for any not-spot areas (with a view to upgrade it later)

On 5Ghz I get 110Mbps transfer rates with wireless N and I get around 30Mbps on wireless 2.4Ghz due to tonnes of these in the area.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 04-Feb-14 19:49:37)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Feb-14 20:44:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If anywhere near 80Mbps on FTTC you need 500MBps homeplugs. It seems 200Mbps ones can't cope.

Good job that I got four netgear homeplug with 500Mbps with gigabit lan port http://postimg.org/image/4c4cmzx9f/

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 04-Feb-14 23:01:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

please dont advise this homeplugs are an abnomination.

gigabet ethernet -> AC smile

both those can handle full speed FTTC easily.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Feb-14 23:14:37
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

That's a little strong!

Like you, I wouldn't go near them, but for a huge number they are a godsend.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to