General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Feb-14 21:06:04
Print Post

2 x FTTC (VDSL) connections in one home???

[link to this post]

I know it's probably been asked before, but does anyone know if it's possible to have two FTTC (VDSL) connections (obviously using two phone lines) coming into the same house over the same multi-core 'phone cable?

I'd basically like to keep my own domestic Infinity product but now have a need for a FTTC/VDSL connection for my business which must have a static IP (not available from BT's domestic retail product).
So I thought I'd investigate having a second connection (too far from the exchange to get decent ADSL2+ speeds) for work.

Has anyone known of this?
Do the 'phone/DSL companies even provide it?
What are the dangers of crosstalk with 2 x VDSL connections sharing the same multi-core (my current Infinity connects a couple of Mbps shy of maximum sync and I get around 66Mbps download speed - upload is at full speed)?

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Adam3k
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Feb-14 21:10:25
Print Post

Re: 2 x FTTC (VDSL) connections in one home???

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

I have 2 FTTC services (80/20)

Was the 1st live on the cab over 16 months ago. Sync started off around 50Mbps on line 1 and 48Mbps on line 2. They have dropped as expected over time and now sit at 48Mbps on (1) and 44Mbps on the other. Upload has been around 11Mbps on both most of the time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StructuredCommunications Bonded FTTC 74.5Mbps Download & 22.4Mbps Upload.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Feb-14 21:15:06
Print Post

[re: Adam3k] [link to this post]

Well at least I know it's possible, thanks.

Were both your lines enabled at the same time, or was one done ahead of the other?
i.e. Do you know what one line was capable of, before the 2nd was switched on, and did it drop due to cross-talk?

I guess if your upload is 11Mbps on a 20Mbps upload service you're a fair distance from the cab (I get full upload speed and the most logical cable route is probably around 160 to 200 metres).

Ade

DL Sync 78Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Feb-14 21:30:43
Print Post

Also. I expect it's the same phone cable, but don't know.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Feb-14 21:42:22
Print Post

Looks like it might be academic anyway...
If I go to any provider's website, and do a search by just postcode (as I'll need a new line, rather than migrating my existing one), all checkers show something like "fibre is not available in your area yet" or "we cannot provide accurate information based on your postcode", and they all just offer 1-2Mbps ADSL.

Using the BT wholesale checker shows the cabinet is "temporarily unavailable" (i.e. it's full) - that's what BT get for using miles more cable, than necessary, to get from the exchange - everybody is upgrading from ADSL (2-3Mbps AT BEST) to fibre.

Even though the cab went live in August 2011, it's now showing an availability date of Feb 26th 2014 for FTTC range A (clean) and FTTC range B (impacted) - whatever that means (are there new 'decent' and 'rubbish' products available from BT???).

Ade

DL Sync 78Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User flipdee
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 21:48:01
Print Post

Theoretically, providers don't really care how many telephone lines/fttc connections you have in your building/home. The BT Openreach engineer thought it was a bit wierd when he installed the second line but other than that.
I was also the first adopter on my cabinet, however I believe it's uptake on neighbours lines which has had more of an effect on my speeds (similar drop to Adam3k) but as I'm probably closer to the cabinet i'm getting 70Mbps download approx with 19Mbps upload on both lines.

Edited by flipdee (Mon 03-Feb-14 21:49:53)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Feb-14 21:57:20
Print Post

Postcode checkers are the least reliable. At least use the address smile.

From posts around the time that Clean/Impacted stuff was introduced it seems to be along the lines of Clean = zero cross-talk and Impacted = worst expected cross-talk.

Or Impacted could be to do with non-optimisation of home wiring now the self-install option is in place.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Feb-14 22:15:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by adebov:
(I get full upload speed and the most logical cable route is probably around 160 to 200 metres).

That sounds quite short. I'm at the so-called BT average of 450m and get around 50/10 sync, but my parents are at 510m and get the full 80/20 (theoretical on theirs is around 99/30) - so its down to quality of cable, crosstalk etc etc. too.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Feb-14 22:47:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
At least use the address smile.

I did that and that's how I managed to find out the cabinet is full.
Postcode checkers simply say "fibre is not available in your area" (when I know it is, as I've had it for 2.5 years).
So, yes, you're right - the address checker is more reliable and is the only one to give the 'true' answer (that the cabinet is full and capacity is being added by 26th Feb).

I get the following result...
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 69.8 20 20 -- 26-Feb-14
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 79.9 53.8 20 19 -- 26-Feb-14

So, even though the cabinet is full (so; a fair bit of cross-talk, I'd imagine - especially as most lines will come this way) I'm still syncing within the 'Clean' range (with average throughput between 62-66Mbps).
Last time I checked my sync (and the throughput hasn't dropped since) it was around 76Mbps.
At least I know what to expect when I add a second line (will probably go for a 40/10 line on that one, to reduce the cross-talk effect on MY home 80/20 line - no need to go higher than 40/10 as everybody else, in the company, has ADSL2+ connections and the fastest of those is less than around 4Mbps).

Roll on Feb 26th - will probably go for a Zen 40/10 connection (if they do new line installs) as I need a static IP (a dynamic DNS won't do in my case, as we'll all need remote access into several sites and this will be filtered by IP).

Ade

DL Sync 78Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User bluenapalm
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 22:54:45
Print Post

To add more weight to this thread. I currently have two circuits running across the same phone cable in my house.

First circuit (using two pairs) is a residential BT Infinity 80/20
Second circuit is a GEA-FTTC Openreach/TTB 10/10.

Both work flawlessly.

Thanks

Blue
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to