General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Wed 05-Feb-14 13:39:03
Print Post

Fibre Quiery

[link to this post]

Basically I have plusnet fibre already, it is placed downstairs (with the main phone line socket). Which is fine for my needs. Now my query is I have a working phone line up in my bedroom. Would I be able to use some form of bridge/range extender work with this phone line, and what would be the process of this (i.e. would you need a second Openreach modem).
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Feb-14 13:42:06
Print Post

Re: Fibre Quiery

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Timalay:
Basically I have plusnet fibre already, it is placed downstairs (with the main phone line socket). Which is fine for my needs. Now my query is I have a working phone line up in my bedroom. Would I be able to use some form of bridge/range extender work with this phone line, and what would be the process of this (i.e. would you need a second Openreach modem).
Is this to use a second, separate phone line to get a second separate connection? If so then just order FTTC on the bedroom line quoting that number. The engineer will do the rest.

If you just want to use the existing connection in the bedroom there's no need to move the modem. It shouldn't have anything to do with the modem in fact. All you need for that is to extend your LAN either with CAT cable, powerline adaptors or wifi.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Wed 05-Feb-14 13:44:50)

Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Wed 05-Feb-14 14:08:18
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I'm pretty sure the phone in the bedroom, is just an extension to the main phone line.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Feb-14 14:49:29
Print Post

I'm pretty sure the phone in the bedroom, is just an extension to the main phone line.
In that case moving the modem would be fairly pointless and might result in a lower connection speed. Line length = speed (roughly speaking) so requiring the telephone signal to travel through several additional metres of extension wiring to get to the modem is unlikely to be a good idea. At the very least you'd need a filter like you would with ADSL and frankly it's just asking for trouble. No, you want the cable connecting the modem to the phone socket to be as short as possible. Now what comes out the 'house end' of the modem is a different kettle of fish. The signals in that cable will travel a long way without deterioration so those cables can be almost as long as you want.

It still feels like we're talking at cross purposes though as on the face of it this just a typical every day networking question. With a typical FTTC installation you have:

<phone socket> - <modem> - <router> -{ your network }

(In fact this configuration can exist with ADSL as well although most installations combine the <modem> and <router> into one box.)

You seem to be asking how to access { your network } in your bedroom so the most common options (in rough order of preference as regards performance and reliability) are:

1. Run some CAT cable from one of the spare ports on your router up to your bedroom.
2. Buy some powerline adaptors. Connect one of the spare ports on your router to one of the adaptors, plug both one adaptor into a power socket near the router and plug the other into a socket in your bedroom. Now run a CAT cable from the bedroom adaptor to your computer. The two adaptors will talk to each other through the house power circuits.
3. Use wifi. In most houses the wifi from your router will already reach the bedroom. If not you can get wifi extenders that work like the powerline adaptors. If the machine that needs access is a desktop you'll need to buy a wifi network card (USB ones do exist).

Slightly less common would be to extend the CAT cable currently connecting your modem to your router and thus relocate the router to your bedroom. But that would be a bit odd. If you're going to lay cable you can save yourself some bother and just run a cable from the router to wherever you need it.

Edit: It occurs to me that perhaps you don't have a router. That's not a very good configuration in the first place in that case the above solutions will work but just replace 'plug into spare port on router' with 'plug into modem'. You'd basically just be allowing your computer to be further from the modem.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Wed 05-Feb-14 14:54:52)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Feb-14 14:50:55
Print Post

So if the need is that you want internet at the current location, and also in this bedroom then the simplest and most common method is WiFi

You do not connect another modem to the phone line.

A better indication of what you want to connect and people can advice on your actual options.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Feb-14 18:23:01
Print Post

Does it ring when the main one does? Do the two sockets have the same phone number?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Wed 05-Feb-14 21:50:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

When I plugged a spare phone into it, had a dial tone. We only one line renatal (so if it was another line, it wouldn't get a dial tone, surely?)
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Wed 05-Feb-14 21:54:03
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

No you misunderstand, I don't want move the original modem and router, I just wanted to see if it would work with some form of bridge (or whatever it's called).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Feb-14 23:13:07
Print Post

Sounds like a single line. If you ring in from your mobile you could find out if both sockets ring the phone.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Feb-14 23:17:17
Print Post

I don't think any of us fully understand what you are trying to achieve.

You are talking about this "bridge", (I for one don't know what it should be called as I don't know what you mean), but you are putting that as a solution to the problem.

We don't know what the problem is that it is intended to be the solution to smile. Tell us that, and we can help.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to