General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Brookzy
(newbie) Wed 05-Feb-14 21:53:31
Print Post

Landline Number: Available; Address: Not available

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

After much delay (six months), and much stress and wrangling, I finally have a fibre appointment that hasn't bounced - yet.

It's booked for Tuesday, but I'm concerned an engineer won't turn up (again) due to lack of availability.

When I look at the availability checker, my landline number says FTTC "Available" (good!) but the address checker says not available until March 5, and the postcode checker gives no hint of FTTC ever being available.

Should I be worried? My current 1.6meg down, 0.2meg up is driving. me. insane.

Edited by Brookzy (Wed 05-Feb-14 21:56:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Feb-14 22:11:20
Print Post

Re: Landline Number: Available; Address: Not available

[re: Brookzy] [link to this post]

Which checker have you used, which ISP have you ordered from, do you have a working (BT system not VM) phone line?

Ignore postcode checkers. What does this one say please?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Brookzy
(newbie) Wed 05-Feb-14 22:16:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Apologies, should have been more specific.

ISP: Plusnet
Checker used: The BT wholesale one
Have a BT phone line, currently working and delivery extremely slow ADSL

Landline number result: http://f.cl.ly/items/2V0n150I263f0A3Q0h2Q/Screen%20S...

Address result: http://f.cl.ly/items/1G2C2t460K0B3f3x290q/Screen%20S...

Postcode result: http://f.cl.ly/items/3q1t2X10351R2C2V2W3I/Screen%20S...

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Feb-14 23:27:16
Print Post

That's fine smile.

You postcode is served by more than one cabinet. Postcode enquiries do not as a rule report on more than one, so the one that hasn't got FTTC may be the first on the list in the database, or it may be the one with the most lines, or whatever smile.

The phone and address ones are identical except for that availability date. Just above that table will be your cabinet number, and I expect the postcode one will be different from the other two.

Openreach being really pulled out with faults caused by the bad weather - not just in flood areas, may be a problem, and I don't like that availability discrepancy between the two with FTTC any more than you do. Strange.

Is the forecast day the one you picked off the selection list when ordering, or is it what came later with the confirmation?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Brookzy
(newbie) Wed 05-Feb-14 23:36:31
Print Post

Yes, it seems dodgy.

The order was placed over the phone within at most an hour of the checker saying available. This was on Saturday. Tuesday 11th was the first appointment available. I contacted Plusnet on Tuesday 4th because of my history of the appointments being cancelled and they said it is still confirmed and booked in, which makes a change from previous attempts, which were cancelled in a few days.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Feb-14 23:41:03
Print Post

Have you had any automated texts or emails?

Standard User Brookzy
(newbie) Wed 05-Feb-14 23:42:15
Print Post

I have a confirmation message on my Plusnet account from the day the appointment was made, nothing else.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Feb-14 23:45:23
Print Post

Can't help any further I'm afraid.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Feb-14 12:45:49
Print Post

Pretty much the same as my result.

Number check says it's already available (probably as I already have FTTC on that number).
Address check says it's nearly available (i.e. gives speed and an available date at the end of Feb - the cab must be full - I've had FTTC since August 2011).
Postcode check says only ADSL is available with absolutely no mention of FTTC.

If I ask for a new line (rather than to migrate my existing one) most ISP checks return that fibre is not available in my area but I could have 2Mbps ADSL if I want (like I'm going to swap a working 80Mbps connection for a rubbish 2Mbps).
So the ISPs are clearly using only the postcode check for new line enquiries (so that lost them a sale !!!).

My address and all the postcodes around it (in fact almost all of this part of the estate) are served by a single cab, so it's simply that the postcode check draws a complete blank for FTTC (could be the cab being full, if I remember I'll run another check after Feb 26th, when the cab capacity is due to be expanded).

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 78Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Brookzy
(newbie) Thu 06-Feb-14 13:57:55
Print Post

Just as an update...

Plusnet today say that despite the lack of communication, appointment is confirmed and an engineer will turn up on Tuesday.

I'm still not convinced...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to