General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheKLF99
(newbie) Thu 06-Feb-14 11:13:47
Print Post

Fibre Multicast available but can't get FTTC???

[link to this post]

I'm quite confused as I checked this morning on the Wholesale ADSL checker to see if there is any new updates on when FTTC would be available in the area.

We moved here 3 years ago and have been getting really annoyed with BT's incompetence when it comes to FTTC around here.

Last February we had all the roads dug up in the area and it caused massive traffic disruption whilst they were changing the exchange to FTTC which we had to put up with at the time.

Then OpenReach website stated they were Accepting Orders at our exchange (based on a phone number search), but then searching BT's site our phone line hadn't been activated - surely as I searched with my phone number and OpenReach are installing it they would have known that - are these guys totally incompetent?

Then at Christmas we got a "Golden Ticket" from BT stating Fibre was available and we could call them to switch. We called them only to be told that it was a mass mailing sent to everyone in our area (despite it being specifically addressed to us!!) and that it's not available on our phone line, but we could switch our phone line to them and get 2mbps broadband - are they really taking the mick? we already get 3mbps from their sister company PlusNet at nearly half the price!!

Anyway this morning I did another search on BT Wholesale that actually shows the cabinet status and it states that Fibre Multicast is available on Cabinet 11 (which was found with a phone number search - and it appears that Cabinet 11 is our cabinet).

However despite this all ISP's are still saying Fibre is not available. So what on earth is this Fibre Multicast? Does it mean FTTC should be here soon? Our current list of services on the cabinet is as follows:

Featured Products
WBC ADSL 2+
Downstream Line Rate : Up to 2.5
Upstream Line Rate : --
Downstream Range: 1 to 4
Availability Date: Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M
Downstream Line Rate : Up to 2.5
Upstream Line Rate : Up to 0.5
Downstream Range: 1 to 4

ADSL Max
Downstream Line Rate : Up to 2
Downstream Range: 1 to 3.5

WBC Fixed Rate
Downstream Line Rate : 1
Downstream Range: --

Fixed Rate
Downstream Line Rate : 1

Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast
Downstream Line Rate : --

Does this mean FTTC is coming? We keep thinking about whether or not to switch to satellite broadband, but not too sure, but we don't want BT to keep screwing us around and keep promising that it's coming when it isn't, but we also don't want to sign up to a long term satellite broadband contract and then have BT install fibre a few weeks later.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Feb-14 11:28:57
Print Post

Re: Fibre Multicast available but can't get FTTC???

[re: TheKLF99] [link to this post]

It is common for some cabinets on an exchange to be enabled and not every cabinet.

Each cabinet is assessed on its economics.

Fibre Multicast is added to the checkers on an exchange wide basis so does not imply FTTC is on its way to cabinet 11 yet.

If you have a 3 Mbps connection, what are you expecting satellite internet to deliver? The usage allowances generally mean most high bandwidth activity is very limited, i.e. video streaming

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Feb-14 12:21:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Fibre Multicast is added to the checkers on an exchange wide basis so does not imply FTTC is on its way to cabinet 11 yet.

I understood it to be on a per-cabinet basis, with copper multicast on an exchange-wide basis?

Local cabinet here is filled up again and fibre multicast has gone from available now to the same date the cabinet is forecast to become available again.

FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 63 20 20 -- 05-Mar-14
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 71.7 44.1 20 15.4 -- 05-Mar-14

Fibre Multicast -- -- -- 05-Mar-14

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Feb-14 12:43:42
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Have seen fibre multicast appearing in areas where cabinet is not enabled previously.
Maybe its just another random checker game flag.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Thu 06-Feb-14 20:03:08
Print Post

Reading the satellite forums and all the problems people have I would stick to the 3 meg adsl

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User flipdee
(learned) Fri 07-Feb-14 08:32:14
Print Post

The multicast flag as I understand is the best indicator of being connected to a fttc cabinet, a few people I know get the multicast enabled on the checker but their line is too long for a fttc service.
Obviously in other cases capacity can be the reason, I suppose they just don't put the multicast specific check through the same criteria as actual broadband service.
Cheers,
Flipdee
Standard User TheKLF99
(newbie) Fri 07-Feb-14 10:46:03
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Surely satellite broadband can't be as appalling as our 3mb line?

We have regularly disconnections, every time it's windy or rainy the whole internet disappears and can be gone for a few hours sometimes.

It's really annoying when trying to download something and half way through downloading the connection drops and I have to restart from the beginning. I have Go!zilla download manager to help, but not everything can be downloaded with Go!zilla.

It seems to go down every few hours. Every time we tell Plus.net about it we get the same response - "try changing your router, or your filters" - we've got about 10 filters and about 4 routers and still get constant disconnections.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Feb-14 10:57:35
Print Post

Satellite can be lost during heavy rain but usually for just a few minutes. As an adjunct to a 3 Mbps ADSL connection, the sat will fill in for days when the ADSL is down, but only if I had sub 0.25 Mbps speeds would I consider satellite on its own. (Yes have used it, and know people who've had it)

JQuery means websites do many more small fetches that cannot be cached so the latency can make some sites look very poor.

In terms of the ADSL dropping out, time to monitor the ADSL stats and confirm its the ADSL and not some other issue. Also best to run from the test socket for a day or two to confirm local wiring is not the issue - but guess you've done that.

Standard User TheKLF99
(newbie) Fri 07-Feb-14 10:59:03
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

So if we've got that flag then it could mean they are getting around to enabling FTTC then?

I did hear some rumours about a date in March for FTTC activation, but don't know how true these rumours are - I take it if that Fibre Multicast has suddenly appeared that could be them getting ready to activate FTTC then?

I'm just quite concerned though that they might not do it, because there is only about 20 houses in our village (unless they link the next village along to us - which would bring the total up to about 60 houses - but they are on the Clee Hill exchange, where as we're on the Ludlow exchange). Where we are we don't have any gas because it's not economically viable to install it here, so I'm concerned whether they'll do the same with FTTC - although I really think companies like BT should be forced to using their profits to improve services even where it could cost them money - they make enough money and other countries like Sweden install in non-economical areas, they just use the phone companies profits in areas where they'd make a loss - many companies do make a loss on products to make themselves look better and sell more - supermarkets do it quite often with loss leaders.

Mind you as BT have the monopoly on telephone cables they have no competition to go against. It's like Royal Mail, you go to the post office see a long queue with one person serving, and get fleeced of 60p for an appalling service, and yet RM don't care 'cos who else are you going to send that 60p letter with? and so what if you've got to queue for ages, it's not like you could just go to one of their rivals and post the item, although I have started to post more parcels through Hermes now rather than RM - for parcels it's cheaper and faster!
Standard User flipdee
(learned) Fri 07-Feb-14 11:05:50
Print Post

Hi TheKLF99,
Sadly I can only speak of my experience with the BTWholesale checker but FTTC Multicast "can" (huge inverted commas) only be a good sign.

Have you checked to see which cabinet you are being served from and if anyone else on the same cabinet can get any different results from the checker?

cheers,
flipdee
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to