General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rento
(learned) Sat 08-Feb-14 14:20:53
Print Post

Reaching for the impossible

[link to this post]

So. BT does not want to upgrade my cabinet since it's not worth their while financially. There is nothing I can do about this, or is there? I am 1.9 from the exchange and 0.9 ( I think I got another one at 0.5 miles away ) from the closest cabinet. What alternatives have I got? I am thinking that perhaps I could have a copper cable from the 0.9 miles FTTC cabinet straight to my property going through the existing road tunnels. Would openreach ever do this? Would BT allow it? And how much would it cost? Alternatively how about a microwave antenna on top of the exchange that would face my property? Straight distance is 1.4 miles
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Sat 08-Feb-14 14:39:58
Print Post

Re: Reaching for the impossible

[re: rento] [link to this post]

You and the neighbours could could together and pay the have a cabinet installed... That would cost thousands.

Do not know anyone within the enabled FTTC area and run a microwave link from their house to yours?

Whatever you do it is going to be expensive and likely to be impractical.

How much are you willing to pay per month for your broadband?

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Sat 08-Feb-14 14:45:45
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Also at 1400 metres from cabinet (.9 miles) the speed you would get would be comparable to Adsl2+ speeds if your 2800m from exchange.

So maybe not worth thinking about

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Feb-14 14:50:47
Print Post

Quite apart from Ripley's reply, FTTC is fed to customers via their existing copper from their PCP (phone cabinet). You already have that copper in place.

If you put your phone number into this checker it should tell you which cabinet you are connected to.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User commsguru
(learned) Sat 08-Feb-14 14:58:40
Print Post

Can you get virgin media.
If not I would get the one plan from three. 18 p/m on a 1 month contract or 15 p/m 12 month contact
this allows unlimited data tethered. Will be upgraded to 4g for free!
I expect most people will be using this in a year or 2 and cancelling fixed lines.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Feb-14 15:26:40
Print Post

[re: commsguru] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by commsguru:
I expect most people will be using this in a year or 2 and cancelling fixed lines.
I doubt it. Wireless really isn't well suited to delivering large amounts of data to large numbers of people. If all anyone wanted to do was browse a bit and read email it might work but with more and more people wanting to watch IPTV wireless just won't be good enough. Even if every other use of radio bandwidth was given over to internet delivery the laws of physics mean there just isn't enough suitable bandwidth to go around. We can only use a proportion of the spectrum and distance from mast, obstructions and local mast contention mean fixed lines are going to be needed for a long time.

http://nbnmyths.wordpress.com/why-not-wireless/

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 08-Feb-14 15:30:55)

Standard User commsguru
(learned) Sat 08-Feb-14 15:44:30
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I have seen 4g giving 40meg connection
as I mentioned it is cheaper then line rental from fixed line providers.
the main thing will be if the mobile phone companies provide enough masts and backbone connection.
a lot of three one plan users do not have fixed line broadband.
three have just done a deal with EE so hopefully it will speed up deployment of 4g.
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 08-Feb-14 15:52:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by commsguru:
I have seen 4g giving 40meg connection
But not tens or hundreds of them simultaneously, all downloading different data… as Andrue says, there just isn't enough RF spectrum.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Fastman2
(newbie) Sat 08-Feb-14 16:31:46
Print Post

rento - see openreact FAQ's suggest - have you done a broadband survey in your arear to see how many might be interested to do something -- there are a number of villages where communities have funded new infrastrcutire direct with openreach - understanding your community is the 1st thing
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sat 08-Feb-14 16:34:45
Print Post

A free upgrade to 4G is not of much use when I cannot even get 3G at home on my phone.

David

plusnet Unlimited customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to