General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Brookzy
(newbie) Sat 08-Feb-14 19:04:25
Print Post

Using test socket. Will OR engineer mind?

[link to this post]

Yet another post chronicling my fibre install...

Currently, on my ADSL connection, I'm using the test socket behind the master socket's front plate.

This is because the connection is about 30% faster than using the standard socket, thanks to my house-builder's shocking wiring skills (yes, I've removed bell wire etc. etc.).

On Tuesday I have an appointment with an Openreach engineer for a fibre install. Will (s)he look at the sprawling master socket and say "Sorry, I'm out!" or should it be ok?

Many thanks
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 08-Feb-14 19:07:32
Print Post

Re: Using test socket. Will OR engineer mind?

[re: Brookzy] [link to this post]

wont be a problem,but will probably ask why
Standard User Brookzy
(newbie) Sat 08-Feb-14 19:12:13
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Cool.

Will an FTTC connection be affected by the speed drop I get when not using the test socket?

Because I guess the engineer won't leave it wired up to the test socket as it is now.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 08-Feb-14 19:20:26
Print Post

Will an FTTC connection be affected by the speed drop I get when not using the test socket?

probably. you can just leave the extension plate off and leave the FTTC modem conneted to the new FTTC plate and plug any phone directly into that
Standard User Brookzy
(newbie) Sat 08-Feb-14 19:28:33
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info.

I found this on BT's site [however BT will not be my provider]:

We'll fit a special faceplate to the front of your master phone socket when we install BT Infinity. It helps you get the fastest speeds by separating the broadband signal from any interference caused by your home's telephone extension wiring and devices connected to it.

So hopefully this means it will be fast even without going through the test socket!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Feb-14 23:09:22
Print Post

If your internal extensions are causing issues and loss of speed, then when the engineer comes to do the install for FTTC it maybe best if those extensions where disconnected from the lower half of the master socket , assuming that you saw a lower speed even when there was nothing connected to the extensions, if there was things like sky boxes connected where they filtered as well as your phone in the master socket ? if not that could of been the reason for the slower speed, the filtered faceplace that they will fit will filter all extensions so no need for dangly filters
Standard User Brookzy
(newbie) Sun 09-Feb-14 00:06:30
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Currently my whole home wiring consists of:

Test socket -> ADSL filter -> DSL for modem
------------------------------> Splitter -> Landline phone
------------------------------------------> Extension for a sky box

(Hopefully that makes sense. Ignore the lines, had to use them as spaces are deleted when posting)

And this gets the faster speed.

The only difference when I use the main socket (and get the slower speed) is that a second sky box will then be connected via another telephone socket in the lounge.

Will do some experimenting tomorrow to see if the second sky box is responsible for the slowdown.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 09-Feb-14 00:13:25
Print Post

Sky boxes can need double filtering. It was supposed to be fixed years ago, but occasionally we still see one here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Brookzy
(newbie) Sun 09-Feb-14 00:23:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I see!

The connections for the sky box are hidden behind a massively heavy cabinet that is attached to the wall. In other words, can't really reach the cable.

I don't need any of the sky telephone services, so can I just unplug the telephone cable from the box?

Or will cable pick up interference anyway?

Might have to mentally prepare myself overnight for moving this cabinet tongue
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Feb-14 00:58:23
Print Post

The extension can be disconnected from the lower (removable faceplate) on the master socket, without causing issues, then you won't need to use the test socket
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to