General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User equiton
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 13:10:54
Print Post

FTTC, cabinet connected but no sign of us getting it

[link to this post]

I have to make a decision shortly whether to rent an office with decent broadband connection. Or is FTTC goiing to get to us and when. I have had answers from it could be a couple of weeks (last september)to it may be many years if ever. Realy helpful when planning a business.
Our exchange Alvaston was active from last october. When I enquired I was told our cabinet had not been done.
Last week we had an open reach engineer in as our current connection has drpped from 3.3 to 2. When he came back from checking the cabinet he asked 'why do you not get FTTC, your cabinet is connected to fibre'' Been and checked myself and it is. So ring up all the providers and they all tell me FTTC is not available in my area. I say cabinet 7 is connected but we get no further. No indication of when it will be. (ironicaly I get a letter everyweek saying how wonderful BT infinity is and that it is now in my area)
My question is, is there anywhere information can be obtained on what is happening. I need to make plans. Its not like they get up on Monday morning scratch their heads and say we will do that one today.
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Mon 10-Feb-14 13:15:33
Print Post

Re: FTTC, cabinet connected but no sign of us getting it

[re: equiton] [link to this post]

What does it say if you check here:
https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/B...

Sometimes the cabinets get full, and have to have cards added, or new cabinets stood up.

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Draytek Vigor 2710n
Standard User equiton
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 13:34:45
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

That just gives the same information it has for years.
WBC ADSL 2+ & ADSL max
Thats from this link https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/B...

Cabinets been full makes a lot of sense. Is there anyway of finding out if that is the case and if more cards are to be added etc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Feb-14 13:38:16
Print Post

The best checker to use is this one, but not the postcode option. It usually also tells you your cabinet number, which can be useful.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User equiton
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 13:56:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That is another one I try regularly. Same results. It is cabinet 7, the same as the open reach engineer said.
Just looking at your site, looks usefull

Edited by equiton (Mon 10-Feb-14 13:58:06)

Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Mon 10-Feb-14 14:21:20
Print Post

That'll be what the ISPs are seeing as well I'd guess. Does it say anything about FTTC multicast at the bottom?

I would have said that it doesn't have fibre if it doesn't mention it at all. If it were full it shoudl show fibre, but the ISP wouldn't be able to place the order.

Could be that the cabinet has stood up, but not made live yet. Do you have a local BDUK project who you could ask about it? The openreach rollout ended last year, so I wonder how long the cab has been there.

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Draytek Vigor 2710n
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Feb-14 14:31:58
Print Post

How far is cabinet 7 from you? By the route your cable takes, that is, if it goes overhead, or you otherwise know it.

If it is within a few hundred metres, you definitely ought to be able to get it. If it is more than a couple of miles, you almost certainly won't be able to get it.

Mistakes in the database aren't unknown, so it might be worth using the checker on a few of your neighbour's properties. For this, you can use the Address checker, but not the postcode checker. Once on the address checker, you can just enter a postcode, and it will give you a list of addresses - so check a few of them out, and see what the results are.

If you want more postcodes to try in this way, use the Royal Mail postcode finder, giving the street name and town... and it will give you all the postcodes for that street.
Standard User equiton
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 15:08:54
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Its 2 miles from here to the cabinet. I have checked telephone numbers of neighbours and the village half a mile closer to the cabinet. . Then there is a mile gap to the next collection pf properties. They are close to the cabinet so I am just assuming they have FTTC but I will check that as well
Just checked the road the cabinet is on and that is not showing FTTC available. Silly mistake by me not to check that. Implies the cabinet is niot active yet. Is there any standard time for these to become active?
Thanks for getting me thinking
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Feb-14 15:10:32
Print Post

Mine took from August to January from first appearing to going live.

So the answer is it varies according to the work needed locally, and if for example a small bit of roadworks is needed that can hold things up a lot.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User equiton
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 15:36:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The openreach engineer said the cabinet was connected. Will go down there and have another lookat.It certainly and try and ask people walking their dogs how long its been there. Did not look brand spanking new when I looked last week. Around the cab is densly populated so it should have some priority.
This does seem a crazy situation that there does not seem to be any way of getting information from communication companies. How are businesses supposed to plan. Without the input from the engineer I would be taking on the inconveniance of renting an office.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to