General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Feb-14 17:37:55
Print Post

Re: FTTC, cabinet connected but no sign of us getting it

[re: equiton] [link to this post]

What are the current ADSL stats from the router?
There may be some pestering that can squeeze a bit more upload speed.

If its just uploads now and then and you'd fit into the satellite package allowances then consider that. My feeling is that if your cab is really live, you are not being shown service as its slower than 2 Mbps for the expected speed. Yes FTTC can perform worse than ADSL.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Feb-14 17:47:51
Print Post

Is there anywhere you know with FTTC, perhaps a small business or whatever that wouldn't mind a few quid bung or even a fiver a month towards their FTTC, (doesn't need to be on your cabinet), maybe even a regular customer who wouldn't mind a discount, that could help you?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User equiton
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 18:30:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I was managing to squeeze 3.3mb out the line. ADSL nation faceplate, quality short lead straight to router. No wireless used. . Best router was old BT voyager 2200, even better than the twin wire plus I can use DMT with it. Now using a billion router with a broadcom chipset. same speeds till last month. There was a major problem, all the phones in the village down for nearly 3 weeks. Since then we have been getting 2 mbs. Upload same. Had all the SNR adjustments, we are at 6db. The openreach engineer who came out was exelent, he was impressed how effeciant we were and did a realy good job of checking the lines.
Yes I have looked at borrowing other peoples premises and there are offers of assistance I occasionaly use. When I get back late at night the real preferance is to get things uploading so as to be working on them in a morning. My patterns of erratic and odd hours are a bit much to burden others.
I have just had another conversation with talk talk my provider. They are saying now that it will be available shortly on our line. Then they said the delay was while they were putting cable in. This was more than likely just a standard fob off. They also said the distance. would be alright when they get more power to the exchnge?
Its looking like unlimited 4g from Three is the best option, then go for a drive. The contract on my 3g mifi dongle is nearly at an end. Most of the 15gb allowance on that gets used up on site. There is a 4g mast not too far away & if talk talk are being honest we are not tied into something we do not use anyway

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 10-Feb-14 18:37:40
Print Post

In order for Talk Talk to supply FTTC they need to purchase a fibre cabelink in the exchange to connect between their equipment and the FTTx headend.
The stuff about power is nonsense.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Feb-14 18:40:12
Print Post

They also said the distance. would be alright when they get more power to the exchnge?

If you believe that, then I recommend you buy a lottery ticket this week as its your lucky week. There is no such thing, and the exchange is not generates the VDSL2 signal.

With FTTC connect speeds are the same irrespective of the provider, i.e. you were given a sales pitch

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User equiton
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 18:59:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I had no confidence in anything that was said and its usefull to know the power thing was BS We had a long conversation, both so called technical support and the his supervisor. First iit was we are working flat out on it. So I ask what work is been done, then its they have no more space at the exchange. I point ou down the road I can order FTTC from the same exchange and cabinet. Then its they are putting in more cable. I ask where too, the cable already goes to the cabinet. Then we get power to the exchange. Same routine from the supervisor till eventualy he admitted they were pretty cluless. The he told me he was giving the number for openreach. I got very irritated with him when he then gave me BT's customer service number.
Haviing gone through a couple of faults recently it is obvious communication companies have real communication problems. Most of the people answering the phone are Ok its just they can not get any information either are left just lying to people.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Feb-14 19:02:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by equiton:
Just looking at your site, looks usefull
Thanks smile.

It needs a few updates I'm afraid, but the underlying facts are still true.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Feb-14 19:56:01
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

That bit is correct, and depends on which exchange the fibre is fed from. TalkTalk if they have LLU in the exchange where the fibre goes, but do not have their LLU kit in the exchange the phone goes to might refuse to supply FTTC. That is their choice.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Feb-14 19:59:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It needs a few updates I'm afraid

Don't be so hard on your self Bob, that stuff about Strowager exchanges will be proving invaluable to someone ! tongue

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Feb-14 22:58:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I thought with all your experience you'd be (System) X rated.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to