General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Feb-14 10:48:20
Print Post

Re: FTTC, cabinet connected but no sign of us getting it

[re: equiton] [link to this post]

If the properties are all on cabinet 7 both close to cab and ones like yours then the answer is this, and I've said it before.

YOUR LINE IS CONSIDERED TOO LONG FOR FTTC TO WORK OR PROVIDE ANY BENEFIT OVER ADSL/ADSL2+.

Thus Openreach do not flag the line as supporting FTTC.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Feb-14 10:49:33
Print Post

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

SuperfastCymru actually has a fair number of cabinets that have gone live in the North Wales area

So as far from the M4 in Wales as you can get.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 11-Feb-14 11:17:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
SuperfastCymru actually has a fair number of cabinets that have gone live in the North Wales area

So as far from the M4 in Wales as you can get.

You are right.

M4 was a poor generalisation - I should have included the A55/487.

But no consolation to those that live in between.

Regards,

Rob

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User equiton
(newbie) Tue 11-Feb-14 11:55:41
Print Post

Mr saffron
It is defintly the most likely case.
On the way to us there is a gap of a mile with only one property. On BT broadband availability checker that property is showing FTTC available but the FTTC Range A is only 9.9. The next collection of houses is another third of a mile and they are showing no availability. We are another half mile after them.
All this would have been so much easier if the communication companies could communicate. When I mention distance they say that would not be the cause of FTTC not been available.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 11-Feb-14 13:42:10
Print Post

It seems many sales reps do not know the technial limitations of the services they are selling
Standard User equiton
(newbie) Tue 11-Feb-14 14:15:54
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

it was't the sales reps. It was what technical support, a second level technical supportt and their supervisor. Just an edit to be more accurate. The supervisor said that the distance would not be a problem when they inreased the power at the exchange.
I get a letter every couple of weeks telling me how wonderful BT infinity is and that is now available at your address. Thts the level of information sales reps get.

Edited by equiton (Tue 11-Feb-14 14:28:39)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Feb-14 14:28:57
Print Post

To be frank, most tech support is based around a day or two of training when people start, and if you are paying unexceptional wages the good ones soon move to other places where they can get paid better.

A good number of the broadband myths are down to support staff confusing people.

Standard User equiton
(newbie) Tue 11-Feb-14 14:47:30
Print Post

Yes its very rare you get somebody who is actualy technicaly minded. They appear to have a crib sheet and if you move away from that they are lost. You then find one that realy try's but they can not get too any information to help.
In the past you used to be able to get around this. Find a contact in a company and get real information. All these outfits have some very capable people working for them somewhere.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Feb-14 22:13:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by equiton:
On the way to us there is a gap of a mile with only one property. On BT broadband availability checker that property is showing FTTC available but the FTTC Range A is only 9.9.

The next collection of houses is another third of a mile and they are showing no availability.

We are another half mile after them.

I think that detective work has led you to the answer... you are indeed too far from the cabinet, and by quite a margin.

The distance limits do depend on the phone lines themselves - thinner cables can only carry the signal over a shorter distance, while fatter ones go further. Copper can get further than aluminium.

Anyway, with that idea out of the window, you need to consider the office question better. Perhaps, as you've considered, a mobile package is a good idea.

However, you might want to look at office packages for virtual offices, or hot-desking.

I found this example: http://www.friargatestudios.co.uk/virtual_office_pac...
Standard User equiton
(newbie) Tue 11-Feb-14 23:04:24
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Strange coicidence there. I am now working on a set of photo's that I will be uploading too somebody who as been organising the broadband connection on that site. We were together when I did a tour of the council offices. http://goo.gl/maps/aozSD (bit of self promotion there)
Thats how I work, I can work on the computer here and then upload as I am going.
I have cosidered Friargate and that there are some very good hotspots in the city now. I would need 24/7 acess though.
I am looking at 3's 4g unlimited at the moment. We have 3g MIFI and the contract runs out soon. With 3g we sometimes get good results in the garden sometimes we can not read emails. I have tried climbing trees with the MIFI and its still inconsistant. Will start to look at attena etc I. Its just currently we are limited to 15gb so I have not tried antenna's on the roof. That may help and if it does not its drives out.

Edited by equiton (Tue 11-Feb-14 23:05:44)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to