General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Feb-14 15:14:48
Print Post

Life in the fast lane

[link to this post]

I'm in the process of switching providers and I ordered the new package on Sunday. My old ISP issued a MAC quickly and my new ISP (PlusNet) accepted the order and gave me an installation date - all within a couple of hours which is commendable.

Where it looks less clever is the estimated completion date. 18th of February. How can it take over a week just to switch providers? Surely it's just a matter of updating a couple of databases and letting the RAS know. Based on the response up to now I assume this is BT being slow and lumbering but it seems to be taking the [censored] somewhat.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Feb-14 15:19:27
Print Post

Re: Life in the fast lane

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

With the migration system it might be even slower, as there will be a time gap to stop slamming.

Issue is how many people are changing at this time, if you are the only one then its slow, if there is 20,000 a week to process then less so.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Feb-14 18:51:40
Print Post

Is it both phone and broadband being migrate from the same supplier? If so and they are doing a SIM provide, the fortnight is as Andrew says - Ofcom regulation to prevent line slamming.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Feb-14 08:28:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Is it both phone and broadband being migrate from the same supplier? If so and they are doing a SIM provide, the fortnight is as Andrew says - Ofcom regulation to prevent line slamming.
No, just broadband.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Feb-14 09:29:29
Print Post

Straight Openreach scheduling then. For a long time I've thought dates are scheduled as they come in, quite independently of their content.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 11-Feb-14 09:30:12)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 13-Feb-14 02:38:56
Print Post

mine was slow also, to make you feel better here are my dates.

order date 8 dec.
migration date 31 dec.

word of warning, the plusnet order system is prone to getting stuck and having issues, I suggest you ring to confirm the date is set.

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Thu 13-Feb-14 10:02:51
Print Post

As well as the OFCOM regulations, could the companies involved be inundated with faults and failures during this period of flooding etc, with staff diverted to other tasks or even unable to get to work?
  Print Thread

Jump to