General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AndyHCZ
(regular) Fri 21-Feb-14 12:54:39
Print Post

Re: BT Wholesale FTTPoD Price

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Completely full - though one card is broken and needs or has been replaced from what I understand from the MK Broadband Action Group.

We are fortunate that there is decent coverage about local fibre and there have been local newsletters detailing all the latest updates for fibre. There have been a lot of delays and problems getting fibre to certain parts of MK. Some areas are over due by many many months. So when an area does go live, there is a mass rush of people signing up - unfortunately BT seem to have underestimated that...
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Feb-14 13:05:34
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Just had a quick read myself and seems as though the one you are talking about is just a new card install rather than a replacement, looks like cabinet 128?

They actually don't necessarily start with 96 ports, scarily they generally only start with 48 and cards are installed one at a time afterwards. A new card is triggered when the previous one hits 80% port usage.

EDIT: Unless of course they're ECI kit, in which case the cards are probably 64 ports a pop.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Fri 21-Feb-14 13:25:36)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 22-Feb-14 00:19:33
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

it will be loss making early on, however this I think is also due to bad decision making from openreach. The blockages are there due to a lack of maintenance. Ducts that likely have not been touched for decades. Also the decision to provide FTTP via underground vs overhead will have skyrocketed the costs.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Sat 22-Feb-14 00:46:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I read the £50 billion figure here...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/medi...

Your take on the figures seems to make more sense...

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User Brookzy
(member) Sat 22-Feb-14 01:50:41
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Well they didn't really have much choice on the overground vs. underground - no-one would have tolerated ugly telephone poles being put up everywhere!

plusnet FTTC (54/12)
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 22-Feb-14 02:37:57
Print Post

[re: Brookzy] [link to this post]

who is no-one?

I would tolerate it as I am sure many people would in cities, particurly younger people, who think a nice scenery isnt everything.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Feb-14 08:11:05
Print Post

I often thought about the costs caused by lack of maintenance over the years, resulting in blocked ducts. Also not everywhere that has underground cables has ducts. I was told by an engineer that some bright spark in the seventies decided to save money by just burying the cables. Apparently our estate is one such case, so there are no ducts.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 22-Feb-14 08:34:24
Print Post

You can't do maintenance on a duct that's buried in the ground, the only way to clear a blockage that can't be rodded is to excavate it and there is no point doing that unless you actually need to put something new through it.

Edited by Ribble (Sat 22-Feb-14 08:35:47)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Feb-14 09:43:30
Print Post

See our news one in Cornwall has done the rounds.

Pole is tall due to slope

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(regular) Sat 22-Feb-14 10:27:46
Print Post

It will be loss making for many many years. My install alone took probably 4 days in total, including a full day for contractors to dig up my driveway and remove a blockage.

Overhead is actually a nightmare for Openreach in some areas. A fibre engineer was telling me that in part of one village they install FTTP, they have to close an entire road off for half a day to do any installs or maintenance work due to health and safety. So they have to apply for permission to the local council each time someone wants FTTP or they are doing maintenance.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to