General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User michael_scott
(newbie) Sat 15-Feb-14 14:31:50
Print Post

Fibre broadband TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT by BT?

[link to this post]

Hello all,I have just changed from ADSL to VDSL but despite the new BT availability (November onwards) showing me speeds to sign up for I believe that due to BT Traffic Management I am not getting what I am PAYING FOR! (I FULLY UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEMS OF LONG POTS).
All the new home equipment,faceplate/modem/router,is working correctly and the line is good and NOT impacted,and no home wiring is connected,but despite initial faster speeds working well with no dropouts or instability,my new fibre is only working at my old ADSL speeds!!!
I believe that BT might be MANAGING my speeds to cope with their limitations of total available bandwidth.
My fibre is hybrid of fibre and POTS but in theory should be much better,according to BT data.
My ISP and the BT Openreach and Kelly engineers have done all they can but SOMETHING is probably impeding what is a good/clean/unimpacted line from delivering what BT predict themselves.
I feel others might well experience this situation. 15-feb-2014.
Standard User vit0
(member) Sat 15-Feb-14 14:36:35
Print Post

Re: Fibre broadband TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT by BT?

[re: michael_scott] [link to this post]

Going to need a lot more detail on this one:
What speeds are you getting?
What package / ISP have signed up to?
Do you know where your nearest BT cabinet is?
Do you have your line stats showing you sync rate etc?

Lee
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Feb-14 14:49:58
Print Post

[re: vit0] [link to this post]

if no stats, then data from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ will help (continue to the further diagnostics to get the IP Profile)

Also a speed test from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html which can help to show contention

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sat 15-Feb-14 14:55:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

All the data is with SamKnows for future pursuit with BT and Ofcom.
The second part of the BT website tests will not perform,but I am not on a BT contract and in the past have found that,on ADSL at least,the BT tests appear not to perform for alternative LLU IPs.

Edited by michael_scott (Sat 15-Feb-14 15:02:09)

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Feb-14 15:01:20
Print Post

Without posting something stats wise, no one is going to be able to help you.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
(newbie) Sat 15-Feb-14 15:06:28
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I understand that but my desire is to get BT to eventually sort out their apparent internal problems in dealing with both their own engineers,independent contract engineers,and the alternative IPs.Thanks.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 15-Feb-14 15:13:11
Print Post

By posting here?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Feb-14 15:20:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
if no stats, then data from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ will help (continue to the further diagnostics to get the IP Profile)

Mine isn't working on this site kept getting same result since went live with FTTC last Thursday morning as the test come back "The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider".

I had contact plusnet about this, they had no idea why it wasn't working.

plusnetFTTC72 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Sat 15-Feb-14 15:21:13)

(newbie) Sat 15-Feb-14 15:26:57
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Data from SamKnows,just accessed:-
Latency: 31.23 milliseconds.

Downstream Throughput: 5.02 Mbps

Packet Loss: now zero.

Website load times: 0.85 seconds.

Further (widget) data available. I have been using speedtests since going on ADSL in December 2006 using mainly Thinkbroadband (as it is now) ,iPlayer diagnostics,and VuDu streaming test.
When BT improved their online ADSL checker to include address details I checked and found that BT 'predicted' that with a 'Clean unimpacted line' my downloads could be between 11.3 to 17.4 Mbps and uploads could be between 0.8 to 1.2 Mbps :I signed up to 38 Mbps Unlimited quite happily.
BT engineers worked hard to remedy a line fault reported by the initial BT Openreach engineer that reported the line fault on 03-december-2013 and the fault was rectified two MONTHS to the day on 03-february-2014. In the interim my ISP managed to lose my broadband completely and I only survived using a mobile broadband dongle. My first actual fibre-STATS were obtained using a high-tech 'trial' routerin place of the ISP provided router.Oh and changing from a BT Openreach Huawei fibre modem to a BT Openreach ECI fibre modem gave an improvement fro 4 Mbps to 7 Mbps. The 'trial' router gave the following information:-

Huawei HG635 h/w G.1.01 s/w v1.03t
DSL synch status 'Up' :Upstream LINE rate 515 kbps : Downstream LINE rate 9998 kbps :Max Upstream rate 506 kbps : Max Downstream rate 10250 kbps :Upstream noise dB 5.7 laughownstream noise dB 6.3 : Upstream Interleave depth 0 : Downstream Interleave depth 0 : LINE STANDARD VDSL : Upstream LINE attenuation dB 70.6 : Downstream LINE attentuation dB 35.8 : Upstream output power dBm 5.1 : Downstream output power dBm 7.9 : Channel type None.

I then settled down to about 7.5 Mbps down and about 0.6 Mbps up speeds,without drpouts or instability, but the BT LINE MANAGEMENT capped my line to 6.5 Mbps down and 0.6 Mbps up.

My line is long at about 1300 metres to the local fibre cabinet 7 but it is NOW clean and unimpacted due to BTs hard work in providing a new pair,this took two engineers to fully diagnose,two months later,and rectify.

My new ISP uses my old ISP exchange equipment! Such is telephony marketing!

I believe that BT are fragmented as an organisation and there appears to be a problem in liason with alternative ISP liason. Also BT will not talk directly to other ISP customers even about engineering issues which they are contracted to handle.

I found that one of the biggest LLU ISP call-centre,even at management level,did NOT understand that when everything had been completed at the consumer premises an appointment was NOT necessary to rectify LINE and cabinet and exchange problems and/or work!! That is why half-way through I changed ISP. But this new one is not much different! Time will tell.............hopefully?

Edited by michael_scott (Sat 15-Feb-14 16:21:42)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Feb-14 15:38:39
Print Post

As has been requested, (unfortunately in a reply to someone else), please do this test, (ignore the red instructions), and at the bottom of the results page click the Further diagnostics.

Then please copy and paste the full contents of the two results text boxes smile.

Also a copy and paste of what this checker says about your phone number. (Edit out the phone number).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Feb-14 15:41:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by michael_scott:
I am not on a BT contract and in the past have found that,on ADSL at least,the BT tests appear not to perform for alternative LLU IPs.
Ah! Which ISP are you with please?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Sat 15-Feb-14 17:41:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hello,
I was with TalkTalk from when they started and am now with Primus Saver (New Call Telecom).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Feb-14 18:49:50
Print Post

So is this Primus FTTC via TalkTalk or BT Wholesale?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Feb-14 18:51:46
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

You used up your decades electron allowance on the server

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Feb-14 18:57:31
Print Post

So as its not a BT Retail connection, it cannot be their traffic management.

Primus will use a TalkTalk LLU service, so bandwidth will depend greatly on what they buy from TalkTalk Wholesale.

When you say about 1.3km, then it would be expected to be connected at a speed well under 20 Mbps really.

The openreach DLM will act to reduce the number of errors, and this can mean you slow down a little, but this is NOT traffic management and they gain nothing from throttling back people who have slower VDSL2 lines, if they wanted to save bandwidth the fastest people would see the big change.

I believe all you are seeing is the reality that VDSL2 can vary in performance due to the loop length and quality.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Feb-14 19:02:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by michael_scott:
I was with TalkTalk from when they started and am now with Primus Saver (New Call Telecom).

Don't forget the cheaper services will be less good than the expensive services. More end customers to less bandwidth on the core network, means more congestion effects.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Feb-14 23:01:06
Print Post

False Subject:TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT by BT?

You are not with BT, so subject is false and misleading.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Feb-14 16:12:06
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Your constant use of it ended up being interpreted as an attempt at denial of service.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Feb-14 16:19:41
Print Post

Openreach aren't managing your speeds and they have no practical limitations in terms of total available bandwidth from FTTC cabinets.

Thread over with.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to