General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User michael_scott
(newbie) Mon 17-Feb-14 14:49:30
Print Post

FTTC VDSL and long lines

[link to this post]

Google can sometimes search and find people who are experiencing the same problem as oneself.
I found this forum post/link from a technically competent person very informative and HELPFUL:-

https://forum.zen.co.uk/forums/thread/45715.aspx

What was refreshing was the effective solution,in this similar case to mine,to a very real problem.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Feb-14 16:34:54
Print Post

Re: FTTC VDSL and long lines

[re: michael_scott] [link to this post]

Except that the post has misconceptions and red herrings.

The guy mentions vectoring, and buying a modem that has a vectoring chipset. Unfortunately, while his modem might have the capability, vectoring needs to be running in the cabinet for anything to happen - the CPE only takes a very tiny part in vectoring. And even if vectoring were running, it will only have a beneficial effect when it works for *all* lines in the cabinet, not just the one.

So there is no impact from the vectoring chipset, and therefore the new modem has done nothing whatsoever to affect crosstalk.

There then follows a long description of the chase for a new modem, but the real problem was that DLM capped the line speed when the DP was faulty. The major part of the solution was in uncapping the line, not in changing the modem.

There is an outstanding question as to whether it was the new modem alone that allowed the capping to be removed, or whether the various engineers improved the drop wire sufficiently. However, from the data in the post, this isn't clear; more line statistics under different conditions would have helped.

The new modem *did* ultimately give him an extra 1Mbps, so it is certainly running better for his line conditions than the original one.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Feb-14 16:42:41
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

And its not rocket science that different hardware can produce difference results. The more obvious solution is to try the ECI and Huawei hardware first.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User timh
(newbie) Mon 17-Feb-14 17:08:41
Print Post

11Mbps at 1.2km still seems very slow to me? I'm at 1.1km and sync at around 29Mbps and get attainable of 26Mbps.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 17-Feb-14 17:15:42
Print Post

[re: timh] [link to this post]

It's important to realise that vectoring works best on loops less than 1000ft.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Computerman142
(regular) Mon 17-Feb-14 17:19:36
Print Post

[re: timh] [link to this post]

Lucky you, I am 1km from my cab and I am lucky to get above 26mbps, though I do get an attainable rate of about 32mbps. Hoping one day that vectoring will come and I will get the full 40Mbps.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC - Currently getting 26Mbps
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Feb-14 17:43:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I assume you meant metres, rather than feet there.

In either case, Vectoring is still working out beyond 1000 metres: Alcatel's trial results out to 1300 metres.

But it is still a red herring. In the UK, vectoring is only in use in 5 or 6 trial cabinets at the moment.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 17-Feb-14 18:00:42
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

No, feet (as in kft). Note that you and me are talking loop length, i.e. there and back.
There's a presentation here http://www.adtran.com/web/fileDownload/doc/31620

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Feb-14 18:14:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Loop length isn't there and back, somewhat confusingly.
Standard User flipdee
(learned) Mon 17-Feb-14 20:14:14
Print Post

That's not a long FTTC line, I've had FTTC attempted on a 4.4km to the cabinet line.
As you can imagine, it doesn't really work, 1.9Mbps sync, connection dies when pushed above 0.6Mbps.
However, under 1.5km i'd say would be grand. Go buy a Fritz!box 3390 or 7390 and play about with their loop length estimator, or speak nicely to a BTO engineer with a pretty JDSU!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to