General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andew
(member) Mon 17-Feb-14 18:39:23
Print Post

Possible FTTP install, but BT have wrong postcode

[link to this post]

Hi

Does anyone know the best person/department within BT to get a post code issue sorted. The business I work for has a postcode that nearly every mapping software/website puts in a housing estate about 2.1 miles away rather than the business park we are in. The postcode is question is PL254FD. The postcode to the buildings closest to us about 30 to 50 metres away, can order FTTP with no problems at all. From my office's front door i can see the road side bt manhole cover where the fibre chamber is (about 15 metres away). I've tried ringing BT to try to explain but keep getting told my postcode must be wrong.

Thanks

Andrew
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Feb-14 19:28:42
Print Post

Re: Possible FTTP install, but BT have wrong postcode

[re: andew] [link to this post]

UK's post code is operated by Royal mail, I believe - it is them you need to get on to get it right.

Nick
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Feb-14 20:05:27
Print Post

I would be emailing the CEO of BT group explaining the situation, others have had to do this in the past to get the issues in BT's database corrected.

You can get the email address from here

Or you could simply try placing an order using your immediate neighbours postcode.

Have you tried your telephone number in the BT Wholesale checker

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Feb-14 20:09:40
Print Post

If you have an active phone line then its checking if that number can order FTTP.

If the number check is not coming up sensibly, then I'd suggest the super fast cornwall team, who being local may have better knowledge about oddities with retain areas

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flipdee
(learned) Mon 17-Feb-14 20:09:45
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

There is a parallel postcode database I believe.
I suspect most of these problems occurred when British Telecom came out of the GPO.
I would use the ADSL Postcode checker with your neighbours postcode, you'll find the buildings listed against that postcode (you should hopefully find the one you need).
Then use that postcode against the order.
Otherwise, if you check the BT bill, it might even have the "technically" incorrect postcode on it.
It's basically a case of, if the postcode doesn't match the one on the BT system it won't accept it.
It has nothing to do with Royal Mail as I understand it.
cheers,
flipdee
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Feb-14 20:18:22
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I've tried a few different telephone numbers of businesses which appear to be on the same estate, one on cabinet 4 (sure it was 4 but can't remember the number I tried now) can get FTTP, and then there is one (SG) on cabinet 43 which can't, and another (NFU) on cabinet 43 which can get FTTP.

Certainly some database inconsistencies there.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 17-Feb-14 20:19:25)

Standard User flipdee
(learned) Mon 17-Feb-14 20:22:14
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

There is always a possibility of diverse cable routing.
I have seen some occasions where the first premises connected in a town gets an exchange only line and everything around it is connected to a cabinet (although we are talking significant years between connections.)

Edited by flipdee (Mon 17-Feb-14 20:23:27)

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Mon 17-Feb-14 20:37:11
Print Post

Evening Andrew

You have got the correct Postcode, judging by the Royal Mail Postcode to Address Finder-

http://www.royalmail.com/postcode-finder

B R E National Solar Centre, Unit 1, St. Austell Business Park Carclaze, ST. AUSTELL, PL25 4FD
Crest Accountants LLP, Unit 11, St. Austell Business Park Carclaze, ST. AUSTELL, PL25 4FD
Ethical Power Ltd, St. Austell Business Park Carclaze, ST. AUSTELL, PL25 4FD
Nuco Mailing Ltd, St. Austell Business Park Carclaze, ST. AUSTELL, PL25 4FD
S G Accountancy, Unit 12, St. Austell Business Park Carclaze, ST. AUSTELL, PL25 4FD
St. Austell Printing Co, St. Austell Business Park Carclaze, ST. AUSTELL, PL25 4FD

------------------------------

It appears that the mapping companies have it wrong, showing a group of houses immediately to the WEST of that small Industrial Estate.

If you Click on the RM Addresses above in that Finder, it comes up with-

"The map of the postcode you have searched for is currently not available."

Suggesting that the Industrial Estate is relatively recent - 5 years old or thereabouts.

------------------------------

Most of the mis-labelled houses face on to the passing main road, Trenowah Road, with a dead-end lane going in behind from their eastern edge (with the Industrial Estate) to a few other houses.

At present, I have not found a name for that lane.

The west-most of those houses appears to be-

Google Earth Streetview

2 Trenowah Road
ST. AUSTELL
PL25 3EB

And its Map appears automatically on the Royal Mail Postcode site, but the Pin is just across that Trenowah Road, probably about the middle of the Royal Mail Delivery Walk defined by that Postcode.

=========================

The above should give you the means of sorting out the confusion.

You should also confirm the Postcode at any of the Premises on that Estate already on Fibre; and try to obtain other information such as the PCP/Street Cabinet Number that his existing Phone Line comes through.

Also take photos of those cabinets and screen captures from the above Web Sites.
Standard User flipdee
(regular) Mon 17-Feb-14 21:26:44
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Do you have a neighbours postcode?
http://imgur.com/u0iwKx1
That's all BT have for that postcode.

Quite a popular town for "business parks".

Edited by flipdee (Mon 17-Feb-14 21:53:09)

Standard User flipdee
(regular) Mon 17-Feb-14 21:33:51
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Can I clarify, are you in the Business Park or the Enterprise Park?
Can I ask, what is the company/unit called? feel free to PM if you don't want it public knowledge.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to