General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tonytiger07
(newbie) Thu 20-Feb-14 14:00:16
Print Post

FTTC: Connection Stability

[link to this post]

Looking at migrating to FTTC from adsl - but not too bothered about ultimate speed, more about stability.
How frequently should I expect the connection to drop? With adsl I was used to having approx. one disconnect a month, but remember years ago it seemed to disconnect daily, even hourly at one point.

I'm on a reasonably long line for adsl (currently getting 500/3500kbps up/down), but the cabinet is reasonably close (about 4 houses away) so I assume I'd likely get decent speed on fibre - but I don't want to switch and then find stability is poor.

In case kit makes a difference, I'd be happy(ish) to spend up to £200 on a vdsl modem/router rather than just using an isp supplied one.

Anybody get experience of what actually happens, regardless of what the theory says?
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Feb-14 14:09:22
Print Post

Re: FTTC: Connection Stability

[re: tonytiger07] [link to this post]

Reliability seems better on FTTC, it just works, and if you're so close to the cabinet should be great for you.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 20-Feb-14 14:11:24
Print Post

Stability will be fine - I cannot remember when mine last dropped due to anything on the line from house to cabinet.

ADSL line length means nothing ... the cabinet being four houses away, assuming you are routed directly to it and not round the estate, would suggest less than 100m and that should give 80/20 or close to.

The standard BT modems are fine - yes upgrade if you want to and your choice has functions you need but in almost every case the two BT modems do not cause any issues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(committed) Thu 20-Feb-14 15:03:19
Print Post

Mine stays up until the wife powers it off by hitting the socket switch with the hoover!

Very stable, practically a fixed IP.
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Feb-14 15:44:52
Print Post

I have never had a remote disconnect - just when I do it/and/or change my connection to upgrade/down grade etc.

On ADSL, I couldn't hold a line on adsl2/2+ for more than a day, so ended up on bog standard adsl - and even that used to disconnect at random every few days or so.

As all the others say, fttc just *works*.

Nick
Standard User commsguru
(learned) Thu 20-Feb-14 15:56:01
Print Post

Re: FTTC: Connection Stability *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Feb-14 16:00:31
Print Post

[re: commsguru] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by commsguru:
As mentioned FTTC just works. if you are close to the cab you should get 80/20
I recommend BT Infinity 2

I notice BT Infinity 2 are 75 down and 19 up while Plusnet is 73 down and 17 up. Strange but BT network is biggest one than Plusnet network.

plusnetFTTC72 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Thu 20-Feb-14 16:01:21)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Feb-14 16:11:19
Print Post

Re: FTTC: Connection Stability *DELETED*

[re: commsguru] [link to this post]

Referral link to quidco removed

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Feb-14 19:04:10
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I notice BT Infinity 2 are 75 down and 19 up while Plusnet is 73 down and 17 up. Strange but BT network is biggest one than Plusnet network.

All marketing, the actual possible sync is the same on the VDSL side, and they are both WBC using ISPs so the profile is a maximum of 76 Mbps that I understand. (You should see this, as your line is shorter than mine).

The advertising standards authority (ASA) decreed a year or more ago that you can't sell 80/20 when the maxium speed is 76/18 so all ISPs reduced their advertising on ADSL and FTTC connections.

So Plusnet's marketing department is braver than BT's basically!

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Feb-14 19:13:39
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I thought the maximum ip profle rate is 77.4Mbps out of 79.9Mbps?

plusnetFTTC72 Meg
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to