General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User silent_ninja
(learned) Fri 21-Feb-14 17:26:25
Print Post

Fibre not installed on master socket?

[link to this post]

I've just had Openreach install Plusnet fibre. I wasn't in when it took place, due to them missing an appointment and leaving my brother to look after things. Anyway, the engineer has installed it on an extension line. The master socket is all but 2.5 metres away and it's clearly visible so I dont understand why he has done this?

I've done a speed test and get 24ms latency and 72/16.5 download/upload. Not the 76+ i expected but it's nothing to complain about. The cabinet is within site at about 20m distance.

Is my speed affected? I can't just move the socket myself. I wouldn't know how.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Feb-14 17:51:17
Print Post

Re: Fibre not installed on master socket?

[re: silent_ninja] [link to this post]

Can we see a photo of the master socket and the socket he has used please? Just as they are, at this stage.

Does your brother know if he was Openreach or Kellys or Quinns?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 21-Feb-14 17:52:06)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Feb-14 18:04:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Does your brother know if he was Openreach or Kellys or Quinns?

How to tell if it openreach, kellys or quinns?

8 days ago I see Openreach van, engineer wear a jacket marked Openreach and he showed me I.D. card photo that label Openreach photo of him with his name on it. I am glad mine is fitted by a proper openreach engineer.

plusnetFTTC72 Meg

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Fri 21-Feb-14 18:07:28
Print Post

The one he's installed it on is in the middle of the room/wall and has a wire running to the BT socket which I believe is the master socket-- this is against an external wall in the corner (behind a load of furniture hence it's grimy nature!). So in either case, it's an extension. I'm 80% sure it's the master because we had problems with our line several years ago and BT had to send out one of the senior engineers in the end. He said this one was the master.

Unsure which company he was from. I will enquire, but my brother is very absent minded. He wouldn't notice if the house was on fire.

master socket

Openreach

Edited by silent_ninja (Fri 21-Feb-14 18:10:17)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Feb-14 18:36:30
Print Post

That doesn't look healthy. I'd be fairly sure it wasn't Openreach.

Before he fitted the filter part that the modem is plugged into, did the socket have a split faceplate like the master does, or did it have a one-piece one?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Feb-14 18:45:43
Print Post

If you carefully unscrew the faceplate from the socket you think is the master does the telephone socket at the new faceplate stop working?

If the phone socket on the MK2 faceplate is still live, then that probably is the real master socket.

I'd suggest turning off the VDSL modem completely while fiddling around with the wiring.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Fri 21-Feb-14 19:16:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That doesn't look healthy. I'd be fairly sure it wasn't Openreach.

Before he fitted the filter part that the modem is plugged into, did the socket have a split faceplate like the master does, or did it have a one-piece one?

It was not a split face , just a standard one piece. I have another extension in the house and it looks like that.
(learned) Fri 21-Feb-14 19:26:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If you carefully unscrew the faceplate from the socket you think is the master does the telephone socket at the new faceplate stop working?

If the phone socket on the MK2 faceplate is still live, then that probably is the real master socket.

I'd suggest turning off the VDSL modem completely while fiddling around with the wiring.

Okay well he's done something because I just tested the socket i thought was the master and it isn't working anymore. Problem solved I guess?

Edited by silent_ninja (Fri 21-Feb-14 19:33:23)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Feb-14 19:33:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by silent_ninja:
Problem solved I guess?

I wonder if the engineer has moved the master to where the extension was? ie, swapped them.

Is there mains power by the extension that wasn't by the original master, or is the computer nearer there or some other reason?

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
(learned) Fri 21-Feb-14 19:38:01
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by silent_ninja:
Problem solved I guess?

I wonder if the engineer has moved the master to where the extension was? ie, swapped them.

Is there mains power by the extension that wasn't by the original master, or is the computer nearer there or some other reason?

Yes there is mains power inches away. The original suspected master is on it's own in the middle of nowhere in an awkward corner. Maybe he moved it because it's easier to plug the power in? I must admit it's a lot more convenient now , but I'm concerned whether it will affect me adversely.

Unfortunately my absent minded brother just left him to it and has no idea what was done. I wish they'd kept to the original appointment soI could've been present!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to