General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Snake
(committed) Sat 22-Feb-14 14:18:48
Print Post

FTTC/FTTPoD Router

[link to this post]

Hey guys,

I am looking to upgrade/replace my current router/firewall Cisco ASA5505.

I am currently IDNet and I can sync around 60Mb down and 20Mb up.

I am looking to replace the ASA5505 with something different, the main features I need to have are:

1GIG wan interface (This should cover FTTPoD future requirements)
VPN

nice to have (Site to Site vpn capabilities).

I want to ensure whatever I get is capable of handling the FTTC and FTTPoD connection (assuming 1Gig WAN interface will cover this)

Any thoughts? What are you guys using?

Snake smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Feb-14 14:29:37
Print Post

Re: FTTC/FTTPoD Router

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

Don't assume a Gig WAN interface will be enough.

The Asus RT-N66U has been a popular choice, and with the Merlin and other optional firmware can do some pretty clever stuff. It used to have issues with 330 Mbps PPPoE on GEA-FTTP but newer firmware has fixed that. Even though the Gig WAN interface can handle a LOT more traffic in non PPPoE testing.

The Asus RT-AC66U which has faster wireless may be more able to cope, but with its higher price not seen lots of people using it.

As things stand in the router world, I'd buy hardware expecting it to have an 18 month lifespan as the kit out at that time will probably be a lot faster.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Snake
(committed) Sat 22-Feb-14 19:03:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you Mr Saffron, might be a good idea just to wait it out for a bit longer then.

Snake smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Feb-14 19:51:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The Asus RT-AC66U which has faster wireless may be more able to cope, but with its higher price not seen lots of people using it.

So little laptop hardware has full 3 antenna N and lots of consumer equipment (e.g. radios, TV boxes etc) are still only using G wireless. Even with Apple kit only the MacBook Pro range has 3 stream N. The others are two stream, and the iPad was only 1 stream/antenna until the iPad Air and Retina Mini.

I might get the ASUS AC as it supports TimeMachine on the USB ports, but otherwise AC is still early days, and most laptops can't be upgraded internally, so its a USB or PCCard dongle.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User nemeth782
(regular) Sat 22-Feb-14 19:55:12
Print Post

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

Replacing an ASA?

I'd probably build a small miniitx box with two gigabit nics, and put Sophos UTM on it, free for home use.

Gives you site to site as well as remote access VPN, you can even do SSL site to site, which an ASA can't.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Feb-14 19:57:17
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
Gives you site to site as well as remote access VPN, you can even do SSL site to site, which an ASA can't.

ASUS RT-N66U with Merlin's firmware runs OpenVPN which can do site to site VPN and remote access. Also has the PPTP server as in ASUS firmware (supported by many mobile devices).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Snake
(committed) Sat 22-Feb-14 20:28:17
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Is it limited in anyway? I.e number of Ports, hosts behind firewall?

Snake smile
Standard User nemeth782
(regular) Sat 22-Feb-14 20:55:11
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by nemeth782:

ASUS RT-N66U with Merlin's firmware runs OpenVPN which can do site to site VPN and remote access. Also has the PPTP server as in ASUS firmware (supported by many mobile devices).

Very true, and imho more than enough for home use, but if someone is currently using an ASA they probably want more than consumer kit will provide.

Sophos will give you a similar level of features to an ASA for minimal cost.
Standard User Snake
(committed) Sat 22-Feb-14 21:25:00
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

To be honest, I got the ASA5505 at a bargain price. Being doing well for almost 2/3 years. smile.

I do like the having a lot of features etc... but to be honest, apart from VLAN, VPN, firewall (site to site vpn). I dont need much.

Nowadays the routers do come with a lot of features out of the box except for site to site vpn.

Snake smile
  Print Thread

Jump to