General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(regular) Sat 22-Feb-14 18:54:29
Print Post

Most recommended modem/router or router people use?

[link to this post]

Ok I've decided on an ISP, Plusnet, so now I'm wondering what modem and router or modem/router combo's people recommend?

Currently I'm using dg384gt for my ADSL2+ setup, which is a modem/router combo. But I'm figuring that I have to buy a VDSL capable modem? Or is that the openreach modem?

What setup do people have? What's your recommendations?

Also do any of these devices have special firmwares and that kinda thing.

Thanks for any advice.

Freeserve -> Pipex -> Be
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Feb-14 18:59:59
Print Post

Re: Most recommended modem/router or router people use?

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bowdon:
Currently I'm using dg384gt for my ADSL2+ setup, which is a modem/router combo. But I'm figuring that I have to buy a VDSL capable modem? Or is that the openreach modem?

The ISP can choose, I believe PlusNet are still requesting Openreach to install the openreach white modem. To this you attach a router. There are quite a few capable routers available, Plusnet offer a Technicolor router that is stable but low set of features I believe.

For more features there is a TP-Link with dual band N wifi (450mbps) or there are the Asus RT-N66U or the RT-AC66U if you need the brand new AC (faster than N but only at 5 GHz) standard.

If you go for an ASUS, then Merlin's updated firmware is very much recommended over the Asus standard. Its based on the Asus firmware with improvements and nice tweaks. Its deliberately not radical.
http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7846

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Feb-14 19:51:50
Print Post

If you go with the Huawei HG612 modem, which is one of the options supplied when the ISP uses a two box solution then they are very easy to unlock and there are a couple of programs you can use to monitor your connection. The other modem they give out is the ECI modem, which is difficult to unlock. The HG612 can be picked up cheap off EBay, then you just need a suitable router to go with it. A suitable router is one that has a WAN port, often referred to as a cable router, so there is plenty of choice depending on your needs.

For monitoring you have DSL Stats and HG612 Modem Stats.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bowdon
(regular) Tue 25-Feb-14 22:47:30
Print Post

Ok so after looking around at various sites to get some information about plusnet the opinion seems to be divided. Especially about traffic management. I know it's been said that it doesnt happen between 2 users. That they are shaping a customers own streams so all will work well.. But to be honest, if i want that I can do it myself either via router controls or manually setting different speeds on different computer programs.

So now I'm wondering.. What modem/router setup do BT Infinity have? I'm thinking the answer will be the same as the plusnet one.. But just making sure.

Thanks for any who reply.

Freeserve -> Pipex -> Be
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(learned) Tue 25-Feb-14 22:59:34
Print Post

The 2 people I know who went with BT Infinity got a home hub 5 which is an all in 1, so no need for seperate modem.
That being said one of them is having major issues in that their HH5 keeps rebooting itself at least twice a day, this issue seems to be quite a common problem with the HH5.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Feb-14 23:02:33
Print Post

BT Infinity currently supply the Home Hub 5 using its integral VDSL modem, with a dangly filter or two.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 25-Feb-14 23:02:51)

Standard User Brookzy
(member) Tue 25-Feb-14 23:23:52
Print Post

Hey,

Just thought I'd add my opinion on PN's bandwidth management.

In my experience, it is very good. With my old ISP, on a connection that was above average speed (30 mbps ish) I always had the issue of one download hogging all the bandwidth, which made browsing sluggish at best and use of the network on other devices painful. I would have to manually throttle the download which was time consuming and inefficient, as it would then often run slower than the available bandwidth at any given moment.

On Plusnet, the bandwidth allocation helps make my home network run smoother. I can leave everything running without having to worry about a TV downstairs buffering on iPlayer or something.

Just my two cents as they say wink

plusnet FTTC (54/12)

Edited by Brookzy (Tue 25-Feb-14 23:25:28)

Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Wed 26-Feb-14 01:20:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by bowdon:
Ok so after looking around at various sites to get some information about plusnet the opinion seems to be divided. Especially about traffic management. I know it's been said that it doesnt happen between 2 users.
Who said that? This isn't strictly true.
Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Wed 26-Feb-14 01:22:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
BT Infinity currently supply the Home Hub 5 using its integral VDSL modem, with a dangly filter or two.
Dangly filters only come with self-install.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 26-Feb-14 01:50:41
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

Errr - yes. I knew that tongue .

That appears now to be the Infinity default for both 40/10 & 80/20.

Openreach have four options for ISPs to choose from.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 26-Feb-14 01:51:12)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to