General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rjtt64
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-14 12:55:26
Print Post

Fiber Availability

[link to this post]

Hi

Can anyone advice how I can proceed.

so Ive check the BT Adsl Checker https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
It doesnt say Im attached to a cabinet, it just gives the exchange name
I know properties within .5 a mile are connected to fiber
Can anyone tell me what the next steps are, how I can find what cabinet Im connected to (I am some way from the exchange and presume I am connected to a cabinet) and then once I establish that, what Openreaches, intentions for that cabinet are, with regard to FTTC.

TIA
results of search below

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Address RICHMOND STREET, BRIGHTON, BN2 9PE on Exchange KEMPTOWN

Featured Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Downstream Range(Mbps)
Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Jan-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Jan-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 28-Feb-2014.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Thank you for your interest.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 24-Feb-14 13:02:23
Print Post

Re: Fiber Availability

[re: rjtt64] [link to this post]

That means you're connected directly to the exchange on an Exchange-Only (EO) line. You don't have a cabinet so FTTC -fibre-to-the-cabinet is unavailable.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User rjtt64
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-14 14:17:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for this, do you know how I can find out when they might allow me to get fiber from the exchange, I read somewhere they can do this via a virtual cabinet, or is it the case I'll have to use another supplier, I know Virgin are in the street, although Id prefer to stay with BT

TIA

Edited by rjtt64 (Mon 24-Feb-14 14:22:31)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Feb-14 14:25:05
Print Post

If Virgin is in the street, then no government or council help will be coming as you have a superfast connection option.

In short with the commercial roll-out ending very soon, it might be some years away.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Feb-14 18:30:31
Print Post

Just to confirm.

Did you enter your telephone number, address or just your post code into the checker?

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Connection Speed 24272 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.5 dB 5.5 dB
Noise Margin 0.3 dB 11.8 dB
Standard User rjtt64
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-14 20:03:52
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

I have put telephone number in, but with this one post code and housenumber, I just deleted the house number when I posted....
  Print Thread

Jump to