General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User d4vid
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-14 20:11:55
Print Post

Alternative connection for BT Openreach modem

[link to this post]

Hi, my BT fibre modem is connected directly to my master socket via the inbuilt filter. I have an extension which goes upto a BT installed telephone socket in a spare bedroom where i would preferred to connect the BT router. This extension is connected into the master socket (somehow) Please advise how I can achieve this.

I know the norm is to connect directly to themaster socket but I can improve my WiFi by installing the BT and SKY hub upstairs.

Thank you
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Feb-14 20:42:01
Print Post

Re: Alternative connection for BT Openreach modem

[re: d4vid] [link to this post]

You can remove the Openreach faceplate and just use micro filters but this is likely to reduce your broadband speeds.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/ has pictures of the socket, and the ideal way would be to connect a dedicated data extension to the yellow connector in http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/images/test-s...

There are kits like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30M-BROADBAND-DATA-EXTENSI... which plug into the modem socket and you run the cable and new socket to where you want.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User d4vid
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-14 20:53:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for the prompt reply, I was hoping that as the extension is already connected to the master socket I would just relocate my BT modem to the secondary BT socket and plug in. I have a dialling tone at this secondary socket but BT DSL light won't illuminate .

Thank you

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Feb-14 21:02:49
Print Post

The modem will not work because the extension is wired to the small part of the faceplate and already has the VDSL signal removed.

You could wire the extension to the yellow arrowed IDC connector I pointed out and then run the modem from the extension, BUT you should NOT plug any phones in on the extension. Changing the extension faceplate to something like this filtered faceplate would solve that worry.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User d4vid
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-14 21:04:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Much appreciated, thank you
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Feb-14 21:17:19
Print Post

Are Sky not offering those wi-fi extender type things at the moment ? Would that not solve your issue whilst retaining the speed from not botching up your install ?

Standard User d4vid
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-14 21:26:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I have a SKY WiFi booster but this does not strengthen the signal, for some reason the only room I have poor wifi is the main living room where I want this room to be the best. All other rooms are okay.
I don't think moving connections is a botch, please confirm why you consider the suggestion a botch

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 24-Feb-14 21:33:11
Print Post

Because FTTC should be installed at the master socket. Anything else is a "botch"

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Mon 24-Feb-14 21:41:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I would prefer to leave the modem be, are work on installing a wifi repeater. For best results run a cable to the lounge and install a wifi access point. If you don't fancy running a cable then homeplugs would be an option to connect up an access point in the lounge.

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User d4vid
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-14 21:50:07
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Many thanks & useful
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to