General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User d4vid
(newbie) Sat 01-Mar-14 12:21:10
Print Post

Extending my Openreach MK2 fibre connection

[link to this post]

Hi, I have had some good help so far on this subject but would appreciate some further help. My SKY Hub / fibre is connected to my master BT MK2 socket outlet as recommended. I cannot understand why but my house is modern and yet the WiFi signal into the living room can be very poor from 37MB download to as low as 2MB, the rest of the house okay. I do have a BT installed extension in a spare bedroom which I'm told is connected to the BT MK2 Master socket. I would lie to installed my BT modem / SKY hub in the spare bedroom. I would appreciate some help as how to connect. I have tried already, standard broadband works but the fibre does not.

I believe the fibre BB is one pair yet my extension socket installed by BT has 3 pair.

Thank you in advance
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Mar-14 12:34:20
Print Post

Re: Extending my Openreach MK2 fibre connection

[re: d4vid] [link to this post]

Modern house -so foil backed plasterboard which is thermally more efficient but kills wifi

Are the fibre bb and extension lines the same phone number, i.e. a phone rings in both at the same time. When you remove the small faceplate from the MK2 socket i.e. third image down the page at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/does the extension no longer work?

If yes, then the colours of the wires attached to small faceplate you just removed should match the wires on the extension

Now you have a couple of options

1. Install a new dedicated data extension from the extension connector on the MK2 faceplate i.e. yellow arrow on above page
OR
2. If the phone extension is good quality CW1308 or better wiring then you could move the extension wiring from the small faceplate to the MK2 extension (red to yellow) and then use a micro filter at the extension, but this might reduce speeds more than option 1.
OR
3. What I would do, leave the fibre modem on the extension and then run CAT5e ethernet cable to the location when the Sky Hub gives the best coverage in the house, this CAT5e wiring can be up to 100m long and if wired correctly have no effect on your speeds.

WHAT does seem odd is that ADSL2+ is working on the extension socket, it should have been filtered out by the MK2 faceplate hence the checking about what does/does not work when removing the faceplate.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User d4vid
(newbie) Sat 01-Mar-14 13:26:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for the speedily reply and your open line was just as i was thinking, thank you.

My extension is where I used to have my standard, non fibre connected using the micro filters.
I believe that the extension which is a proper BT installed extension is connected into the back of the BT MK2 somewhere.

really daft question could here but could it not be as simple as connecting the RJ11 and link to the phone outlet on the same BT MK2 box???

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 13:29:08
Print Post

The incoming BT cable that goes to the master socket usually will have 3 or more pairs,
If you have a DSL signal in your bedroom and VDSL at the master then the DSL will be on a different pair,and have a different number, unless the instal at the cab has been in some way botched , so that your line is using 2 pairs from the PCP to your home, because Normally the DSL signal get terminated/filtered out at the FTTC cab so doesn't get on to the D'side
So maybe who ever installed the FTTC used a spare pair to your home, for it, and as some how connected the DSL to the bedroom extension , ? You shouldn't still have a DSL signal on the d'side

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 01-Mar-14 13:34:39)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 13:43:00
Print Post

The phone outlet is filtered so Xdsl will not work, there should be 2 terminals on the inside of the faceplate market A & B these are unfiltered you can wire a dedicated extension to these for VDSL using the linebox that comes wuith the data extension cable , or one that has a rj45 or rj11 socket ,
Or you could use it for both phone and VDSL but would need another filter, a filtered faceplate would be better so a new NTE master for upstairs,
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Mar-14 14:06:51
Print Post

The ADSL2+ worked because there was no filtering at the master socket at that time.

The bulky filter that the engineer installed at the master socket, between the rear assembly and the detachable bottom half of the faceplate, filters out all broadband signals from the phone system, presenting broadband only at the top socket of that assembly.

Mr Saffron has given you the best three options. He forgot one check you should make though, which is first just gently remove just the master phone faceplate and tell us what colour wires are connected to which terminal. It would be a good idea to remove the front of the extension and tell us the same info smile.

If you decide to move wires from the T2 and T5 terminals on the the master faceplate to the A/B terminals, you would be well advised to get a Krone/IDC tool from here, or Maplin, B & Q, Homebase etc. to insert them into the connectors.

Ignore both of tommy's posts. One sort of says what MrSaffron said. The other is definitely the wrong thing to do.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 01-Mar-14 14:09:24)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 15:44:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

And connecting an extension using the data extension cable if you wish complete with line box, to the A & B idc connectors wouldn't present an issue, neither would using another nte or line box that , you could fit another vdsl faceplate to if you wanted both telephone and vdsl in another room ,( using the unfiltered a &b) how would it cause issues? it's just adding an unfiltered cable to the socket that is filtered by the face plate,the filter wouldn't be needed or used unless to plugged a phone into it , but it would provide a tidy way of providing vdsl to that spare room , just as would a linebox

Oh it appears that i misread the bit about the extension in the spare roonm having an active adsl signal but not a vdsl ,
But unless you use something to change the rj11 dsl connector into the same size as the telephone uses, you wont be able to use the existing line box without the apapter or plug in style filter ,
one of these would work instead of another nte or a line box to fit the vdsl faceplate to also if you did want to use it for voice you could follow this advice
and seperate dsl from voice moving FTTC to another room ,the best way

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 01-Mar-14 16:25:50)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Mar-14 16:39:48
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

You suggested adding a second NTE. Bad advice.

You mentioned using the data extension cable, and have just done so again. What makes you think he has a data extension cable?

Can you find a single thing wrong with MrSaffon's post that preceded yours, and have you added anything correct and useful to it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 17:19:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The existing cable and line box are probably not a lot different to a data extension kit, as it was installed by OR , so will be twisted pair, so it could be used as one, the existing extension could be used for vdsl only or both phone and vdsl that was the point i was making nothing more
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Mar-14 18:02:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by d4vid:
... but my house is modern ....
Oh Tommy frown. Didn't you see the above?

The internal house wiring was probably by the builder's electrician. It could therefore even be burglar alarm cable, or any sort of junk. That's why I've asked for the wire colours from the OP, as a basic check and to pick up on split pairs. I also asked for the colours at each end so as to pick up possible swapping between terminals.

Even if the house wiring is CW1308, it isn't recommended for VDSL transport. If it were, then the Openreach data extension kit would not exist.

Using the existing extension wiring would however work, with possible degradation, even if not CW1308. How to do that was described by MrSaffron, before you joined the thread.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to