General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(regular) Sun 02-Mar-14 21:08:17
Print Post

When looking for modem/routers do I look for VDSL or VDSL2?

[link to this post]

As the subject really. I'm looking around at different product pages and webpages and I know fibre uses VDSL, but I've also seen VDSL2.. is that a newer technology?

So I'm looking for VDSL compatable devices?

Freeserve -> Pipex -> Be
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 02-Mar-14 21:09:52
Print Post

Re: When looking for modem/routers do I look for VDSL or VDS

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

FTTC uses VDSL2 not VDSL.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User bowdon
(regular) Sun 02-Mar-14 21:12:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ahh thanks mate.. good job I asked! smile

Freeserve -> Pipex -> Be

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Mar-14 21:15:24
Print Post

As a further check, are you looking for devices to connect direct to the phone line or to an Openreach modem?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bowdon
(regular) Sun 02-Mar-14 21:24:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm kinda undecided at the moment.. both setups seem to have their advantages and disadvantages. I was going to have a look around at the setups other people have. Like whats the most popular 'other' router or modem/router people use.

I hit gold with my current router that I was using with Be from day 1. Its flashed with good firmware and I've never had a major issue with it. I'd like to get as much reliability in whatever setup people use.

What is your setup?

Freeserve -> Pipex -> Be
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 02-Mar-14 22:00:54
Print Post

Combined modem/routers for VDSL2 are a bit thin on the ground at the moment, and I'm not sure how many support BT's future requirements (eg vectoring).

If you want anything fancy in the way of router facilities you may also have to part with quite a lot of money!

The big advantages with separate units are that you can choose a router that does what you want it to do, and that the modem belongs to BT. So if it goes belly up or gets fried in a lightning strike, they just replace it. Though a spare is handy to have (cheap enough on eBay) to cover the few days that takes.

Some people say that the separate units take up too much space… an attitude I could understand if the modem looked like a computer tower case, but it doesn't. Afaic the only downside of a separate modem is that it takes up yet another 13A socket.

Fwiw I use the OpenReach modem (Huawei ) with an Asus RT-N66U, it does everyhing I want and more.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Mar-14 22:55:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by bowdon:
What is your setup?

Same as bill, Openreach modem (Huawei HG612) and an ASUS RT-N66U router. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit for around £110 and has features that you'd otherwise only find in £200+ kit.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User ste211270
(learned) Sun 02-Mar-14 23:46:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by bowdon:
As the subject really. I'm looking around at different product pages and webpages and I know fibre uses VDSL, but I've also seen VDSL2.. is that a newer technology?

So I'm looking for VDSL compatable devices?

you could get yourself a Billion BiPAC 8200N using one myself on TT Fibre
Standard User bubblebot
(newbie) Mon 03-Mar-14 05:05:31
Print Post

i also use an openreach modem and an asus rt-n66u, it is a fantastic router and costs £110 at the moment, i prefer the two box setup because it means you can reboot the router as often as you wish without breaking the connection between the cabinet and the modem so you have no problems with the DLM kicking in and lowering the connection speeds, a single box setup means any time you reboot the modem/router it breaks the connection and may cause DLM to effect the connection speeds
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Mon 03-Mar-14 10:30:08
Print Post

Take a look at this Draytek Vigor:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2860

I've used them ever since I got tired of NetGear's failing on me in the very old days. Great kit (but not cheap).

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Draytek Vigor 2710n
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to