General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Wed 05-Mar-14 10:53:55
Print Post

FTTC vs. FTTC/P

[link to this post]

In the openreach spreadsheers, some exchanges are marked simply as FTTC, and others are marked as FTTC/P.

What does the latter signify? That FTTPoD will be available? That FTTP will be run to multi-tenant dwellings?

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Draytek Vigor 2710n
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Mar-14 10:57:33
Print Post

Re: FTTC vs. FTTC/P

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Some premises will be FTTC and others will be FTTP. It is either/or. FTTPoD is separate and won't currently show for most exchanges.
Standard User Fastman2
(learned) Wed 05-Mar-14 11:01:41
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

not quite that simple - as each cab area is still subject to criteria regardlkess - so they may be some that are neither and not covered

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Wed 05-Mar-14 11:31:41
Print Post

So a household could only get FTTP in some instances? That doesn't sound right...

What would define those who would/could get FTTP?

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Draytek Vigor 2710n
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Mar-14 11:32:02
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Sorry, yes, either or or neither.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Mar-14 11:33:10
Print Post

Yes. Some houses will only be FTTP. But that is a benefit. FTTP has the same packages at the same costs as FTTC but also has additional options and better future proofing. There is no disadvantage I can think of for FTTP (except that a number of ISPs haven't yet started supplying packages for FTTP for some reason).
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Wed 05-Mar-14 11:37:23
Print Post

What are the likely criteria for FTTP over FTTC?

I imagine, as I'm served by a drop wire, what I'd be FTTC, however further into the estate I don't see drop wires, so perhaps they'll get FTTP via existing underground trunking?

I don't see BT installing the fibre for FTTP to every home in the rollout, so I presume that's "on demand"?

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Draytek Vigor 2710n
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Mar-14 11:42:14
Print Post

Short connections direct to an exchange may get FTTP (or may get FTTC or nothing).

Long connections with no cabinet may go FTTP if there is a strong business case.

BT might decide for reasons best known to them that FTTP is better for a particular area - based on some sort of planning/business case that they are unlikely to share with the rest of us.
Standard User overscan
(member) Wed 05-Mar-14 12:31:48
Print Post

My analogue phone line comes in via a duct but when BT installed my FTTP they ran it from a pole. The fibre passes under the pavement outside my property. My duct terminates under one of those pavement hatches with a concrete cover. All of the fibre gear is in there but they decided it would be too much work to attempt to blow the fibre down the duct so they ran it from the pole instead. Being a fibre glass pole instead of a wooden one was another can of worms as they couldn't climb it and had to bring in a small convoy of vehicles to do the work. I don't think they'll recoup the installation costs of my FTTP any time this century.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Mar-14 12:33:37
Print Post

[re: overscan] [link to this post]

Did they run the fibre when you ordered or did they run it to your house whether you placed an order or not? No experience of FTTP area (yet) so wondering if they do all the work and then wait for you to order of if they only complete the work once an order is placed?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to