General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Fri 07-Mar-14 22:35:16
Print Post

Line rental required for FTTP?

[link to this post]

Further to my thread here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp/t/4311878-... it now appears as I have a REIN issue.

I have tried to eliminate all sources I can within the house apart from stuff I can't turn off like the fridge and freezer and the house alarm system so I have a nasty feeling a recent acquisition by one of my neighbours could be the culprit and it looks like several more BT visits could be required to determine this and if this is the case there's diddly squat I can do about it so to my mind there's not really much point in wasting my leave on it.

Matt and co at Xilo have been extremely helpful but I think there's little if anything more that they can do.

The speed drop to 1 meg leaves me with a problem, I'm now a keen gamer but more importantly I do have cause to VPN into work on occasion and the connection also has to carry VoIP as well as Remote Desktop traffic, all the ADSL services I've had from Xilo have done this exceptionally well but obviously this won't work now.

I have two lines coming into the house as an alarm modem cannot coexist with ADSL.

If I could get rid of the second line (and its cost) that would be helpful but do I still have to pay line rental on top an FTTP service charge and is there now any idea how much this will be?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 07-Mar-14 22:47:49
Print Post

Re: Line rental required for FTTP?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by techguy:
I have two lines coming into the house as an alarm modem cannot coexist with ADSL.

If I could get rid of the second line (and its cost) that would be helpful but do I still have to pay line rental on top an FTTP service charge and is there now any idea how much this will be?

Alarm modems (analog) can and do coexist with both ADSL (all varieties) and VDSL. It is only when the wiring is wrong or the alarm incorrectly or not filtered that it becomes a problem.

Some alarms will require a copper path and so you will need a physical line if you move to FTTP and that will have a rental element.

If you move to FTTP then why not upgrade the alarm to an IP based system?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Fri 07-Mar-14 23:02:41
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response by the way.

I was told that by a senior engineer of a well known alarm firm whom I'll not name when the system was installed in 2004.

Cant really afford to upgrade the system at the moment.

Disregarding the line the system is attached to I could just get FTTP in without having to rent a second copper loop?

Bit annoyed that it looks like I'm going to have to spend more each month because of the actions of one of my neighbours.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Fri 07-Mar-14 23:06:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 07-Mar-14 23:24:53
Print Post

I suggest you change your alarm company! There was a short period when RedCare (and derivatives) had problems on some lines but that was soon resolved. You should be able to get the alarm company to sort out and correctly filter the line - that will do away with one line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sat 08-Mar-14 08:15:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
I suggest you change your alarm company! There was a short period when RedCare (and derivatives) had problems on some lines but that was soon resolved. You should be able to get the alarm company to sort out and correctly filter the line - that will do away with one line.

On a single exchange line our Company has connected:
1) REDCARE
2) Fax Machine for outgoing use
3) A single simple phone (in case of power failure)
4) BT Business Infinity 80/20 feeding nine devices + 5 VoIP phones (with DDI)
Absolutely no problems whatsoever.

And to think just 10 years ago we were obliged to use 4 exchange lines and 4 channel IDSN (to a PABX), all costing an arm and a leg to get a pale image of todays service and ALSO had to pay call charges to be online!

Earlier than that we thought we were all so upmarket with an acoustic modem coupler; progress - bring it on as it saves a lot of money.
Standard User flipdee
(member) Sat 08-Mar-14 09:47:11
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

trolleybus is right, no issue, I've even got standard "digi" (pet name for an analogue alarm dialer) working overt broadband connections with no physical pstn line.
Namely a linksys spa2102 subscribed to a Andrews and Arnold voip line.
A little tweaking with the spa2102 and the alarm system won't even know the difference.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 08-Mar-14 15:43:01
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

Many thanks for all your responses.

The alarm kit is 10 years old and still does the job and so I don't really want to ask the company to replace it/change it as it cost a fair whack to get installed and I am already going to have to incur further monthly cost due to something that isn't down to me in order to get back a level of service I had until last Friday when the gremlins arrived.

Alas Virgin Media aren't available round here as while not my first choice it might work out cheaper than this.

Standard User flipdee
(member) Sat 08-Mar-14 16:14:09
Print Post

With the a&a voip solution you don't need to change the alarm equipment
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Mar-14 21:22:35
Print Post

Did you read the other linked thread ?
I unplugged the ADSL cables that ran from the filter to a surge protector and from the surge protector to the router

!!!!!!!!!!!!! shocked

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Mar-14 22:36:01
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

There's also
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Take the surge protector out for a few minutes, and see what it's like without it.
in an earlier thread.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to