General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Steve_York
(newbie) Sat 08-Mar-14 10:35:42
Print Post

York FTTC not-spot / FTTP only cabinets

[link to this post]

I live in York* and whilst the York exchange is Fibre Enabled there are a number of cabinets across the city that are earmarked for FTTP only

Does anyone know what the current plans are for FTTP? I'm not sure if the exchange is actually enabled for FTTP but I certainly can't find anyone who can provide me a fibre connection today, nor can I find any details about future plans or timescales to get access to fast broadband.

Any help or insight much appreciated!

*YO26 4ZP Connected to the York Exchange MYYO Cab 39 I believe
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Mar-14 11:58:10
Print Post

Re: York FTTC not-spot / FTTP only cabinets

[re: Steve_York] [link to this post]

Presume you are referring to the FTTP roll-outs by Openreach and not CityFibre who are also in York

You sure about the postcode as it looks to be the Royal Mail sorting office.

As a general rule FTTP earmarked areas are only being done at the end of the commercial roll-out, which is around now. So worth checking on www.roadworks.org for any telecoms activity in your area.

Also what does the BT Wholesale checker at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/btavailability.html say exactly if you check with your full address, not just postcode

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 08-Mar-14 12:18:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It appears to be an apartment block

Address WESTGATE APARTMENTS, LEEMAN ROAD, YORK, YO26 4ZP on Exchange YORK is served by Cabinet 39

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ 	Up to 7 	-- 	4.5 to 11 	Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M 	Up to 7 	Up to 1 	4.5 to 11 	Available
ADSL Max 	Up to 5.5 	-- 	4 to 8 	Available
WBC Fixed Rate 	2 	-- 	-- 	Available
Fixed Rate 	2 	-- 	-- 	Available

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Mar-14 12:21:30
Print Post

If you put just the postcode into the full address checker it will give a list of addresses in that postcode, in this case it relates to the Westgate Apartments. No mention of a post office, and no mention of any fibre products.

Edit. Batboy beat me to it.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 08-Mar-14 12:22:05)

Standard User Steve_York
(newbie) Sat 08-Mar-14 13:21:47
Print Post

Thanks for the reply...

I was referring to BT, but would be happy to get fibre from CityFibre if they offered a residential product. I can't see one on their website for York - am I missing something?

Postcode: Yep, i'm sure: it's a block of flats immediately east/ next to the sorting office.

Thanks for the roadworks link: Checking it shows a few things going on, some from city fibre and a few from BT. The problem is I am not familiar with the terms: For example this looks promising:

4-13 March Location : (PCP39), NGA RELATED WORKS, JUNCTION CINDER LANE ON, LEEMAN ROAD

At a guess / from googling this is work on Primary Connection Point 39 (i.e.my cabinet?) for Next Generation Access related works (i.e. fibre?) How would this typically relate to getting fibre: would this FTTC work or FTTP work? Does this imply progress soon?

BT Wholesale checker doesn't show anything beyond ADSL availability at the moment.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Mar-14 14:20:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Steve_York:
Thanks for the reply...

I was referring to BT, but would be happy to get fibre from CityFibre if they offered a residential product. I can't see one on their website for York - am I missing something?

Postcode: Yep, i'm sure: it's a block of flats immediately east/ next to the sorting office.

Thanks for the roadworks link: Checking it shows a few things going on, some from city fibre and a few from BT. The problem is I am not familiar with the terms: For example this looks promising:

4-13 March Location : (PCP39), NGA RELATED WORKS, JUNCTION CINDER LANE ON, LEEMAN ROAD

At a guess / from googling this is work on Primary Connection Point 39 (i.e.my cabinet?) for Next Generation Access related works (i.e. fibre?) How would this typically relate to getting fibre: would this FTTC work or FTTP work? Does this imply progress soon?

BT Wholesale checker doesn't show anything beyond ADSL availability at the moment.
I just had a look at the same info via the roadworks web site, and whilst FTTC wouldn't appear to be available to you at the moment, there are signs that it's going to be, From the 4/3/14 to 13/3/14 @ PCP39 NGA related works,
Description :Install 3 of 2 poly ducts in the footway , Provide 1 cabinet & base ( NGA cabinets) Which means that you will be getting FTTC if you are connected to that PCP , as to when, that's another question, "How long is a piece of string" even septic peg couldn't give an definate answer maybe 6-12mths maybe less

The cab install is only one part of the job, the fibre has to be blown, usually in existing ducting ,so any bockages can delay this, then there is the 240volt mains power supply , the link cabling btween the pcp and FTTC cab, and of course someone has to sign it off , comission it before they can start to populate it, there's probably other behind the scenes stuff as well
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Mar-14 17:48:14
Print Post

As Tommy says, you certainly appear to be on the cards for FTTC. We've had a couple of cabinets deployed recently long after the initial installs and they both took 3 months.

Just check to see if the cabinet is installed, roadworks should be in progress now, but I've seen them rescheduled many a time, also keep an eye on the roadworks website.

Standard User tempest3k
(newbie) Sat 08-Mar-14 18:49:40
Print Post

They've recently completed infill on the Melrosegate exchange (finally got my cab live earlier this week) so it wouldn't surprise me if infill on the York exchange was next after the massive scaling back of FTTP plans for the city.
Standard User tdw42
(newbie) Sat 08-Mar-14 20:16:42
Print Post

[re: tempest3k] [link to this post]

Not completely - MYMSG cabinet 18 became full in november, shortly before I moved to the area it serves. (Apparently more capacity will be added Q2 this year - there are already two DSLAM cabinets next to the PCP cab, although only one has a superfast advert on it so it isn't clear if only one is currently live, or if a third cabinet will appear).
  Print Thread

Jump to