General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User noppix1
(learned) Mon 10-Mar-14 01:08:15
Print Post

FTTC acting up

[link to this post]

I have had BT infinity 2 since January and its been fine but for the last week its been acting up.
I get 76down and 18.5 up and this never changes much even at peak time but there seems to be some latency issues.
When pc gaming I get total packet loss to the game for a good 10 seconds and this was the reason I moved to BT as virgin is unusable in my area (but on BT I can play most of the time rather than not at all).
Looking at the BQM there are some strange thing happening.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/3cc3b21b7ca...
between 12am and 3am i was gaming but between 6am and 3pm I was not using the connection.
gaming again from 3pm till 6pm and then from 9pm till 11pm but this did not show on the BQM this time.
i did check the ip on the monitor to make sure it was correct.
Is there an issue with the BT network at this time that any of you are aware of in the Wolverhampton area.
The packet loss at 5am was my server restarting.

kit is homehub5. PC has native Intel Ethernet controller from a p68 chipset and cpu is a 2700k@4.7gig on liquid so the pc is not the problem with the game lag.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 08:34:20
Print Post

Re: FTTC acting up

[re: noppix1] [link to this post]

Try leaving a pc with a ping running next time you game. If the ping keeps going but game stalls then probably a game server issue.

What game and platform?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User noppix1
(learned) Mon 10-Mar-14 16:08:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, Its Battlefield 4 on PC.

Is there anything on the BQM that shows a problem, As I don`t have a clue how the monitor is designed i`m not sure how to fully read the results and know if the large spikes are a problem.
Would a ten second drop out would show up on the monitor? or is the time scale to large to show a short term problem.
I should be able to log latency within the game and run a laptop to log a ping test.
Thanks for your time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 16:17:36
Print Post

[re: noppix1] [link to this post]

BQM looks very good, no sign that connection is dropping regularly, which would show as a narrow full height red line.

BF4 servers may be the issue, or there was some game code that would cause NAT routers problems many years ago, one presumed routers had moved on i.e. bigger NAT tables and the game coders had learnt better.

Try leaving the out going ping running.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to