General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User qbiecom
(newbie) Mon 10-Mar-14 10:53:19
Print Post

Self-Install FTTC + Openreach Modem

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I'm anxiously awaiting more ISP's to start offering self-install FTTC (long story - BT fitted phone extension in house and everything is connected there, nowhere near master socket. I know speeds will probably be lower but it's still going to be faster than ADSL2).

I have a quick question though - I currently have a Billion 7800N router which I would like to keep, I know it'll work ok with FTTC using the EWAN port. I presume that pretty much every ISP will be giving an integrated modem/router combo out during self-install, however would I be able to just buy an openreach modem and use it on my line? If so, is there any additional setup that would be needed on the modem, or should it just plug in and sync?

Ta for any advice.. smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 11:21:15
Print Post

Re: Self-Install FTTC + Openreach Modem

[re: qbiecom] [link to this post]

Yes you can buy one of the Openreach modems

It should just plug and sync

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Brookzy
(member) Mon 10-Mar-14 11:27:04
Print Post

If you wanted a better solution, you could have the master socket moved by an Openreach engineer.

If you want an Openreach modem, I have an ECI one I need to get rid of. Can't be unlocked (easily anyway) but will do fine with your router.

plusnet FTTC (52/13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User binary
(member) Mon 10-Mar-14 20:44:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Presumably if you want to buy one there isn't an official retail outlet as such? (i.e. It's a case of heading to ebay?)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 22:04:06
Print Post

[re: binary] [link to this post]

That is the place, HG612 is the preferred option usually since easier to unlock.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User qbiecom
(newbie) Wed 12-Mar-14 12:29:02
Print Post

@MrSaffron - thanks, time to start watching some auctions!

@Brookzy - the long and short of it is due to experiences that friends/colleagues have had during their installs (mainly due to the contractors not doing what the ISP stated) I'd rather just leave them out of it entirely. I did think about getting BT out to do it beforehand but the cost is putting me off..

In actuality just how much of a speed drop would I expect to see? As long as it's better than the 12000/750 I'm getting now I'm not really too fussed. The main reason I'm looking at FTTC is for faster upload speed for YouTube etc...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Mar-14 12:33:31
Print Post

Without a model of your wiring and samples of the cable used hard to say what the drop for VDSL2 will.

Might show no difference between using microfilters just as now and the best practice wiring method, all the way through to being slower than your existing adsl2+

Standard User qbiecom
(newbie) Wed 12-Mar-14 12:45:23
Print Post

Fair enough.

I guess it's a risk I'm willing to take. The extension was fitted by a BT engineer about 6 or 7 years ago, and running my ADSL2+ line on that I actually get higher speeds than BT estimate (They say 8 Mbps - I get 12Mbps).

If I do have any issues I know where to come for advice smile

q
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Mar-14 12:48:51
Print Post

What's your FTTC estimate?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User qbiecom
(newbie) Wed 12-Mar-14 12:52:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Here's what the BT checker gives:

http://imgur.com/ADMZNXT
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to