General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StuB
(committed) Mon 10-Mar-14 19:42:25
Print Post

Who to contact regarding fttc cabinet connection?

[link to this post]

We're currently looking at purchasing a property however the broadband speeds there are poor due to distance from the exchange and as I work from home a lot the connection wouldn't be sufficient.

I'm trying to find out if fibre will happen in the near future and I believe the RFS date on the exchange is May this year.

The exchange in question is the Rubery exchange and the cabinet I believe the property will be connected to is number 26 however I can't physically find it from looking around the local area.

There aren't many properties nearby so I'm doubtful it'll get upgraded to fttc but I'd like to find out for sure if it's going to happen in the near future.

Can anyone tell me if I can email someone to check about future availability or help me physically locate it to see if it has a fibre cabinet nearby?

Many thanks.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 10-Mar-14 19:49:25
Print Post

Re: Who to contact regarding fttc cabinet connection?

[re: StuB] [link to this post]

A postcode would help

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 19:58:38
Print Post

Until a cabinet has its fibre twin that is live and taking orders you cannot be sure, since plans can change. Or problems with mains/cabling mean it gets delayed for months.

In short only buy property where the connection already available to it matches your requirements.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User equiton
(newbie) Mon 10-Mar-14 21:47:27
Print Post

I have been trying to get further information about possible FTTC for 6 months now. Our exchange is operational, the cabinet is operational since last summer but nobody can give me any information about our village. Everybody just uses the bt wholesale ADSL checkers and says that is the only information available.
I am not sure why they are so tight lipped and do not take into account that people are making plans but I am starting to be impressed how secret they keep this information.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 22:01:45
Print Post

[re: equiton] [link to this post]

What do you mean by the cabinet is operational? That some people on the same cabinet as you actually have a service?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Mar-14 22:22:13
Print Post

If you put the full address into this checker, does it mention FTTC/FTTP? It should give you the cabinet number at least.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User equiton
(newbie) Mon 10-Mar-14 22:31:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What do you mean by the cabinet is operational? That some people on the same cabinet as you actually have a service?

Yes people on the same cabinet & same ISP. I started a thread about this a while back and the general conclusion is that it is due to distance.
I have as yet never got any sort of clear answer from an ISP or bt wholesale, they generaly say the distance should not be a problem. This situation where nobody seems to be able to access information from open reach makes planning very difficult.
my message for the OP is despite many phonecalls and email enquiries I have found no better information than the bt wholsale adsl checker. I have also recieved contradictory information, letters from BT saying FTTC is in our area, TALKTALK telling me it will be available in a few weeks time 5 months ago and it been available at our adress according to samknows.
For the OP it was BT open reach engineers who told me where the cabinet was physicaly located.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:07:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The postcode is B61 0RB which according to the ADSL checker is connected to cabinet 26 and then the Rubery exchange.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:09:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If you put the full address into this checker, does it mention FTTC/FTTP? It should give you the cabinet number at least.

I used that link to get the cabinet number 26 as mentioned in my original post, there is no mention of fttc there. The best available is ADSL2+.

Edited by StuB (Mon 10-Mar-14 23:17:09)

Standard User StuB
(committed) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:30:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Until a cabinet has its fibre twin that is live and taking orders you cannot be sure, since plans can change. Or problems with mains/cabling mean it gets delayed for months.

In short only buy property where the connection already available to it matches your requirements.

I appreciate that plans can change, I'm just trying to get the best indication possible.

Edited by StuB (Mon 10-Mar-14 23:30:45)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to