General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(regular) Wed 12-Mar-14 15:14:00
Print Post

Fibre optic cabling.

[link to this post]

Ok I got two questions for the techy guys (and girls?) on here.

First a general question.. with these fibre optic lines, especially the FTTC technology, am I assuming correctly that when it says fibre optic to the cabinet, does that mean my actual phone line from the exchange to the cabinet is now travelling down a fibre optic line? I know this might come across as a simple question but wouldnt that mean at some point my phone line would have gone off for a few sections while they connected me over?

The second question is more specific. I currently have a cat-5e cable coming from the back room (where my current adsl2+ modem/router sits, to the front room where my laptop sits so I have a wired connection. My aim is to get the master socket moved to the front room and use the existing cat-5e cable to connect it to the HH to a network switch ill have setup in my back room. My question is.. will the cat-5e cable be sufficient for this purpose?

Freeserve -> Pipex -> Be
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Mar-14 15:20:44
Print Post

Re: Fibre optic cabling.

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Your phone line (calls etc) will still go to the exchange. No change there. But The FTTC Cab is fed by a fibre cable from the exchange, and then there is a copper pair from there to the PCP witch then connects to your line and "injects" the VDSL signal.

Yes, It will do fine.

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Connection Speed 24272 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.5 dB 5.5 dB
Noise Margin 0.3 dB 11.8 dB

Edited by Seansmit17 (Wed 12-Mar-14 15:21:17)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Mar-14 15:47:34
Print Post

Your telephone line works the same way it always did. The only difference is that the electrical signals are diverted over to the new cabinet. In this cabinet the VDSL frequencies are split off, processed, and the resulting data stream sent down(*) the fibre. The voice frequencies return back the way they came and rejoin the original copper cable back to the exchange as if nothing had happened.

(*)That's for uploaded data. For data you download the data comes down the fibre to the cabinet. The cabinet encodes it into electrical signals and these are added to the copper line as it heads on toward your house.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Wed 12-Mar-14 15:50:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Mar-14 16:36:15
Print Post

The Cat5 cable will be fine.

To add to the others, (and confirming the phone and FTTC signals are combined and split in the FTTC cabinet, not "injected" in the PCP), FTTC description.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to