General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tonytiger07
(learned) Thu 13-Mar-14 20:44:54
Print Post

Engineer Free Fibre Install

[link to this post]

Hello. I'm looking to get fibre broadband - currently on adsl - but not keen on having to have an engineer call at the house as I don't really want to have a day off work for that.
Just called plusnet, but I've been told an engineer would have to call to change the faceplate. Really? To take 2 screws out, put new face plate on and refix?
I thought engineer installs were likely to be optional now - just needed at the cabinet rather than in the house.
So, is there a list of ISPs who do offer 'engineer free' installs?
Thanks.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 13-Mar-14 20:58:35
Print Post

Re: Engineer Free Fibre Install

[re: tonytiger07] [link to this post]

Sky standard up to 40Mbits and infinity option 1 are now self install I believe
ISPs seem to be taking a very cautious approach to self install

Edited by Ribble (Thu 13-Mar-14 21:00:44)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Mar-14 21:29:24
Print Post

An engineer install is best, not because of the supplied vdsl filtered faceplate ( which is superior to the plug in type of adsl filters) or the BT openreach branded modem known to work properly unlike BT's HH5 modem/router , but the engineer should run several tests from your master socket ,before he leaves just incase there are any issues with the line, or the work done at the PCP as this if botched can result in your phone not working

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 13-Mar-14 21:30:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Mar-14 01:48:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by tonytiger07:
but not keen on having to have an engineer call at the house as I don't really want to have a day off work for that.

It is well worth it. Go for it.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
(learned) Sat 15-Mar-14 17:54:49
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying everyone. It looks like there's no way 'round it as I want an 80/20 package. Leaning towards BT - was looking at plusnet but they don't offer all the phone bolt-ons that BT do for some reason.
Now of course I'm told that the engineer appointment slot is basically am or pm - they can't be more specific - how is it so difficult?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 15-Mar-14 18:07:10
Print Post

Now of course I'm told that the engineer appointment slot is basically am or pm - they can't be more specific - how is it so difficult?

Because the appointment before yours may be allocated 1 hour but take 15 minutes or maybe 2 hours. Either that or someone has to absorb te cost of BT Techs sitting around idle because they build slack into appointment times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(learned) Sat 15-Mar-14 19:36:03
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:

Because the appointment before yours may be allocated 1 hour but take 15 minutes or maybe 2 hours. Either that or someone has to absorb te cost of BT Techs sitting around idle because they build slack into appointment times.

Yes I know they can't give exact times - but if you're the first appointment they could say that - they could even charge a premium I'd have thought to book the first appointment. And if they allocate 4 appointments for an engineer in the morning slot, but each one takes 2 hours - then what? I still think they could be more specific than 8am-1pm or 1pm to 6pm.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sat 15-Mar-14 20:42:06
Print Post

But then there are the occasions like when my new neighbour had fibre installed a couple of weeks ago. It was a new line as well because the property has never had a phone.

The engineer turned up as 8am and finally left around 3pm.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Mar-14 12:32:13
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
But then there are the occasions like when my new neighbour had fibre installed a couple of weeks ago. It was a new line as well because the property has never had a phone.

The engineer turned up as 8am and finally left around 3pm.

But BT would know that and build in extra time to an appointment.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User btbert
(member) Sun 16-Mar-14 13:06:48
Print Post

Some years back BT did offer early or late AM and PM slots but it did not work as you just can not tell how long a job will take.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420497773.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to