General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Apache14
(newbie) Sun 16-Mar-14 12:27:52
Print Post

BT FTTC/FTTH availability mess

[link to this post]

Hello,

I am currently looking at buying a new home and have found a property that is ideal, however due to my profession i require a good high speed internet connection.

The situation is that all online checks are saying that fiber is unavailable, however this property is within 500m of the exchange and therefore is wired directly into the exchange (no cabinet). The exchange has been accepting fiber orders for a time now (have had friends on FTTC for a while)

I don't know who to contact, i would even be willing to look at putting a FTTH line in (at extra cost to me).

However all BT seem to say is "we cant provide it" and "contact openreach"

Openreach has no publicly available customer information for this.

I am running out of time to put an offer in on this property ....

Anyone have any advice ?

Thanks In Advanced

Apache14
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 16-Mar-14 12:48:49
Print Post

Re: BT FTTC/FTTH availability mess

[re: Apache14] [link to this post]

What is the estimated ADSL2+ speed for the property? Checking with the current phone number or the address but not the pure postcode alone with this checker. I would expect it to be at least 20Mbps. If so, you could consider a multi-line service with line bonding.

Unless something like the BDUK project is active for your area.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Mar-14 12:59:41
Print Post

How about this? http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/leased...

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Mar-14 13:07:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

£12k a year + vat for 100Mbps pipe, ouch!

Unless he needs the SLA I think I'd be looking at alternatives at those prices.

OP, is there any wifi ISPs in the area?

Standard User Apache14
(newbie) Sun 16-Mar-14 13:49:34
Print Post

The exchange is
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EACAI

Virgin isn't available. And I think a business setup is going to be a bit much (cost wise)

What I can't understand is how a house so close to the exchange cast get FTTC or FTTH
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Mar-14 13:56:32
Print Post

You need a cabinet for FTTC and FTTPoD. You need someone to be retailing FTTP to buy it.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Apache14
(newbie) Sun 16-Mar-14 14:11:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The estimated adsl+ line speed is 17mbps
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Mar-14 14:41:48
Print Post

So how fast do you need?

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Mar-14 14:48:49
Print Post

Fttc is just being deployed to lines away from the exchange using the green cabinets. Large cable from exchange to the cab and then split in the green cab (voice line). The voice lines from the exchange are direct e0 lines. Fttc lines are not installed in the exchange for some reason, just in new green boxes beside the old green phone cable boxes. There are some exchanges that are getting a new fttc box installed outside the exchange building. But it looks like not where you are buying a new house.

Check the speed the house has now, or a neighbour, if that is ok then you have it. For me a 17m would work for work. A 3m line worked for me 3 years ago, so it would work again. Are you sure you need a fttc speed.

IanD
Standard User Apache14
(newbie) Sun 16-Mar-14 15:54:26
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Well i'm guessing 17mbps would be OK for the time being. Its just a question if BT are planning on making VDSL2 connections available directly to the exchange in the next year or so.

I have very little faith in BT's roll-out.

Btw this exchange does have a FTTC cabinet just on it doorstep, but no "normal" phone cabinet near by ;/
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to