General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bbjiggy
(newbie) Sun 23-Mar-14 13:07:47
Print Post

Superfast Surrey and Exchange Only Lines

[link to this post]

Been annoyed that the ~500 Exchange Only (EO) households on my estate in Caterham are not part of the Superfast Surrey project and, according to BT Openreach and Virgin, are also not part of their cabinet plans either.

So I did some digging. E&OE.

I suspect that Superfast Surrey and BT have agreed that the vast majority of Surrey's EO lines come under the BT commercial rollout based on VDSL2+ Vectoring tech being approved and rolled out in 2014. If I'm right this is bad news for those with EO lines longer than 1.5km (me included).

I also think Superfast Surrey's 99.7% target is so overly optimistic that it cannot be believed. If true it means just ~1,600 Surrey premises won't have access to Superfast Broadband by the end of 2014.

So basically I'm not getting unlimited Superfast Broadband, be it 15Mbps, 24Mbps or more, any time soon.

Based on figures I found via Google:
475,670 dwellings in Surrey (http://www.surreyi.gov.uk/get/ShowResourceFile.aspx?ResourceID=1124)
61,900 businesses (http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/527050/Economic-overview-slides.Feb-2013.pdf)
84,000 of the above to be reached by the £35,200,000 Superfast Surrey Project (http://www.superfastsurrey.org.uk/faqs/)
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Mar-14 17:17:27
Print Post

Re: Superfast Surrey and Exchange Only Lines

[re: bbjiggy] [link to this post]

Anyone on E0 lines are doomed..... for not getting FTTC.

Unless BT decide to implement an exchange FTTC cabinet and activate these lines. If I were in your situation I would run a start to run a local community initiative to get the Exchange FTTC enabled

IanD
Standard User bbjiggy
(newbie) Wed 16-Jul-14 22:50:23
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Good idea Ian. I've since got it in writing from BT's CEO Joe Garner that we're not getting Superfast Fibre Broadband and also from Surrey County Council stating the same. I can use these to go to the local press (all interested).

On a related note, despite everyone saying we're not getting it, a new cabinet, reference below, has popped up about 300m along the route of our EO lines.

CCC 7/7 Cabinet 21446
(PCP29) BDUK. SIDE OF 16 TO OUTSIDE 16 WESTWAY ON, MONEY ROAD....

Any idea who this cabinet is for?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(member) Thu 17-Jul-14 07:41:46
Print Post

if you sare that far away from the exchnage (greater than 1.5km) you could see if community wanted to fund a new pcp and dslam near entrance to estate -- it can be done -- there are a nyumber of communitires already doing it -- see openrreach FAQ's -- not majorly espensvice -- only concern would be the nubmer of premises that mighgt need to be coverered - but it is quitew bespoke

Edited by Fastman2 (Thu 17-Jul-14 07:42:15)

Standard User IranianGiraffe
(member) Thu 17-Jul-14 15:17:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by bbjiggy:
CCC 7/7 Cabinet 21446
(PCP29) BDUK. SIDE OF 16 TO OUTSIDE 16 WESTWAY ON, MONEY ROAD....

Any idea who this cabinet is for?

Is that not a green cabinet on the side of Money Road? (I can't see clearly as on phone and can't zoom in)
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 17-Jul-14 19:34:46
Print Post

I susspect Cab 29 is one of several cabs to provide a solution for E/O lines

Edited by Ribble (Thu 17-Jul-14 19:36:07)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 17-Jul-14 19:35:31
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

I susspect the cab shown on streetview is a cable company cab
Standard User bezuk
(member) Thu 17-Jul-14 23:14:44
Print Post

Superfast Surrey are also not upgrading approx 500 exchange only lines, all new build flats, in Epsom town centre. They told me that I was "in a commercial rollout area" despite my email containing quotes from NGA Enquiries and CableMyStreet directly contradicting what they were saying.

Their 99.7% target is based on the concept of "areas", where they can just draw squares on a map and declare all properties in the square as receiving a commercial superfast service, despite BT's EO problem and VM's policy of not serving flats at all.

I've moved out of the area luckily but I wasn't able to get anywhere in my email battle with them.

BT Infinity 3 200Mb FTTP
Standard User bbjiggy
(newbie) Fri 18-Jul-14 09:27:07
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IranianGiraffe:
Is that not a green cabinet on the side of Money Road? (I can't see clearly as on phone and can't zoom in)
In reply to a post by Ribble:
I susspect the cab shown on streetview is a cable company cab
The one on Street View is a Cable TV cab yes. The BT one is new and to its left. More details here:

http://roadworks.org/
CR3 5TF; Next 12 months
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(member) Fri 18-Jul-14 15:06:07
Print Post

Ah ok like I said I was on my phone so could just about make out what looked like a green cab so sorry about that.

Ribble has said (in a roundabout way) that it's a cab for EO lines with others to come as well so hopefully you will be in luck.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to