General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Mossford33
(newbie) Mon 24-Mar-14 21:23:23
Print Post

New build home ok for BT Infinity?

[link to this post]

Hi all

Recently bought a new build property which will be ready in July and I'm keen to know whether I will be able to get BT Infinity. I don't have a particular need for fast internet but the property is in a conservation area so there are restrictions on satellite dishes, and it appears that the street hasn't been cabled for Virgin so looks like BT could be my only option for half decent TV!

Searched my address on the BT site (no phone number yet) which says Infinity is not currently available. However when searching the next door neighbour but one, which I think is already occupied, it says Infinity is available. According to dslchecker.bt.com I am on the same cabinet as that house.

Below is the report from dslchecker.bt.com for the next door neighbour but 1. Do the FTTC ranges suggest that fibre is already being used at the property?

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 50.7 35.2 12.4 7.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 43.6 23.9 12.4 6.1 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 5.5 -- 3 to 8 Available
ADSL Max Up to 4 -- 3 to 7 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

Report from my property below - to be expected as phone line not activated yet?

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 5 -- -- Available
ADSL Max Up to 4 -- -- Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

Any thoughts?
Standard User hippyharry
(regular) Mon 24-Mar-14 21:27:38
Print Post

Re: New build home ok for BT Infinity?

[re: Mossford33] [link to this post]

You can't really say for certain. I've seen new builds where one house is connected to one cabinet, and his neighbour is connected to another.

You can see an example using the BT DSL Checked for postcode "ML3 0PP" and looking at the 2 addresses. First one is 2 Abbotsford Avenue (which is connected to a fibre cabinet) and 4 Abbotsford Avenue, which is not.

So, you might think your house is going to be connected, but there's always a chance it might not. All you can do is ask BT themselves.
Standard User Mossford33
(newbie) Mon 24-Mar-14 22:16:07
Print Post

[re: hippyharry] [link to this post]

Thanks. Every house I have searched for on the development seems to be connected to the same cabinet. Including the nearest houses which are not part of the development. Don't understand why the developer didn't work with Virgin during the build phase when there will be over 50 houses who can't put dishes up!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hippyharry
(regular) Mon 24-Mar-14 22:50:37
Print Post

[re: Mossford33] [link to this post]

From that basis, you'd be safe to assume it's going to be the same cabinet then. smile

As for Virgin not being rolled out, I'm under the impression that for a Housebuilder, it's more cost effective to install BT than Virgin. I might be wrong, but BT give the contractor free issue materials like ducting and also give the contractor a lump sum for each property they connect up.

Again, might be wrong!
  Print Thread

Jump to