General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Mar-14 11:20:05
Print Post

Aaarghh!!

[link to this post]

A Kelly's van just drove up the road past here. I suspect the house he has gone to is on my cabinet. [tremble].

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Mar-14 12:37:37
Print Post

Re: Aaarghh!!

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

An interesting observation here is that everytime such a van or its relation appears at an address in view of here, there has been a sudden spike down in the SNR margin for upstream (and sometimes downstream) by a couple of dB and then it returns to what it was and then either immediately or a little later it drops by maybe a dB or so - permanently it seems. I can't be sure if whether the first spike occurs before the van arrives though (like while he's at the cab) or while it's at the premises.

Is this crosstalk from the new connection? It's happened three times so far that I've spotted. My initial actual rate was 56/12 and now it's 49/9... Against an estimate of 25-30 (reduced recently) so still looks good.

Example here

Tony
Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex SDHRSTP, Cab 4
Full Live Fibre Stats, Speed, ES, Ping etc

plusnet Unlimited Fibre 48/9Mbps @ 800m
HG612/Technicolor
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Mar-14 14:01:37
Print Post

[re: tbailey2] [link to this post]

I would say it's an inexperienced sub contractor not taking the care needed when working in a PCP as some are full of wires, and a clumsey engineer rumaging around inside them can cause a disconnect or fault on other pairs /lines , It maybe that one of the legs on your D'side / E side Pair is corroding away at one of the joints near the jelly crimps , any movement of the cables could cause this type of thing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Mar-14 15:01:02
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Thanks Tommy. I had it in my mind that was due to fiddling in the cab but hadn't considered a fault as such (Kelly's seem to be always around here). Interestingly yesterday, the upstream SNR suddenly recovered a bit for no apparent reason around 10:00 which might add weight to your reasoning . See HERE

And HERE is another sudden drop in upstream SNR mid morning

And HERE is another sudden drop with the preceding spike in upstream SNR although this one was near 21:00....

Wonder if this is worth a Plusnet fault report?

While posting graph links, I know TBB doesn't allow images in posts for anyone - but why not allow them for established posters with say 150+ posts or a status of member and up on pain of decapitation if abused?

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User kamelion
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Mar-14 15:18:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Be afraid, be very afraid! Last time a kelly's van came to my street they stole my connecting pair on the pole and I was without internet and phone for a week until BT came and sorted it out.

Thieving gits

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Mar-14 15:46:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by tbailey2:
While posting graph links, I know TBB doesn't allow images in posts for anyone - but why not allow them for established posters with say 150+ posts or a status of member and up on pain of decapitation if abused

It really is bizarre that we cant post images. Although there is one person, Mr Saffron posted an image the other week.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Mar-14 15:55:49
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

The general forum posting does not allow images as it is against the way the owners want to run the site. However, MrS is one of the people that runs the site therefore has powers that us mortals don't.
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Mar-14 16:03:26
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes, I realise that and it's been like that for the 10 years or so I've been on here and the previous site incarnation. Would be nice to get it changed though in a sensible/responsible manner.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Mar-14 16:06:58
Print Post

And yet another sudden drop in upstream SNR happened a few mins ago (look at live stats in sig) countering the previous rise. Oh - and a Kellys van just went by as well.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
  Print Thread

Jump to