General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User VWGolfman
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Mar-14 08:22:23
Print Post

BT Infinity 2 good experiences please

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm considering BT Infinity 2.

Please can I ask those of you with the same and who are happy with your service to post your experiences?

Obviously when people have problems they look for help in internet forums and post their concerns but often this gives an unbalanced view.

Many thanks for your time.
Standard User timl
(committed) Sat 29-Mar-14 08:39:37
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity 2 good experiences please

[re: VWGolfman] [link to this post]

My brother has BT Infinity 2 and he absolutely loves it... The kids don't moan anymore and he can get his jobs done too.

On the one occasion he had an issue, the line went dead, BT sorted it out in about 3 hours of having it reported to them.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Tim

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 29-Mar-14 11:14:40
Print Post

I've been a lot happier with my Infinity since I hacked my modem and turned off all the remote management connections that were active, and I set up my own router instead of the Homehub.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User VWGolfman
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Mar-14 11:20:49
Print Post

[re: timl] [link to this post]

Thank you Tim, sounds good smile
Standard User VWGolfman
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Mar-14 11:34:45
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I've been a lot happier with my Infinity since I hacked my modem and turned off all the remote management connections that were active, and I set up my own router instead of the Homehub.

Hi BatBoy, thanks for your reply.

I'll be getting the HH5.
I hear that not only does it have a lot of remote management options (as pointed out by you) but a bug in the firmware which causes it to reboot several times per day. Is this correct?
Is there an ETA for the fix?

Although the HH5 has a built-in modem, will I be provided with a separate one too?
I have a Billion 7800DX router which I can use with the modem as I understand it. I'm only a novice so I'll need to read up on that.

I don't like wires everywhere so I was thinking of getting a FRITZ!Box 7490.
Are they any good and will I easily be able to configure it to work with my BT Infinity?

When the bloke comes to install the service, will he replace the faceplate of my master socket?
Is it a bog-standard ADSL filtered faceplate that he fits or different?
Is the faceplate the same size as a normal telephone socket and fit straight on the front?

Many thanks for any help.
Standard User VWGolfman
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Mar-14 11:38:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

BatBoy,

...sorry, more questions smile

.....Do I plug my telephone into the HH5 or filtered faceplate telephone socket?

I'm not paying for BT TV services. Do I have any free BT Vision service or similar and do I have to plug my HH5 into my TV to obtain those?

I understand that I have free BT Sport with Infinity. How do I set myself up to watch that?
I have SKY +HD. Can I watch BT Sport through my Skybox?
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 29-Mar-14 12:07:44
Print Post

Phone plugs into filtered wall socket.
You don't get any BTTV services unless you sign up for them.
You can get BTSport free via your sky service. I believe you just need to add it to the order and supply the viewing card number. You can also watch it via the online app.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sat 29-Mar-14 12:12:17
Print Post

I don't really know where you stand when ordering BT Infinity and intend to use your own router. In most cases a modem would be required, which if the installation engineer doesn't have with him, it would presumably be regarded as an abortive visit for which you would be charged.

I had BT Infinity Business installed a couple of years ago and made it clear I would be using my own modem and there wasn't a problem but they insisted in sending out a home hub as it was "free" - yeah right, it cost me unnecessarily £7 for delivery.

With the contract period coming to an end, I briefly considered an alternative ISP but was alarmed to discover that almost certainly there would be a break in service that could be up to 10 days. Discussions with BT prised out a discount that matched the price of my preferred ISP so signed up with BT for another 24 months.

The downside to their service is with email configuration in Outlook when you have your own domain name. Its easy enough to jump through all the hoops to get a result but difficult to get the desired information in the first place. There is no authenticated SMTP service which is a real pain.

A good point with BT is that they will offer, for an extra fee, either Total Care or Critical Care on the phone line. I don't think that facility is available elsewhere.

So the bottom line is that when initially signing up for an FTTC service, chose your ISP wisely as you are likely to be entering into a long term [expensive] partnership.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Mar-14 12:18:29
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
I don't really know where you stand when ordering BT Infinity and intend to use your own router. In most cases a modem would be required, which if the installation engineer doesn't have with him, it would presumably be regarded as an abortive visit for which you would be charged.

He's already said he's being supplied with the HH5, so in all likely hood the engineer will not be supplying a modem, as he doesn't need one as the HH5 has a built in VDSL modem.

If wishing to use a different router which doesn't have a VDSL modem or you want to be able to get good line stats then go on Ebay and get a HG612 3B and unlock it. Then as soon as the engineer has gone connect up the HG612 and your preferred router.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Mar-14 12:30:45
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
With the contract period coming to an end, I briefly considered an alternative ISP but was alarmed to discover that almost certainly there would be a break in service that could be up to 10 days.
Pardon?

Surely not unless you were aiming to do something very odd?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 29-Mar-14 12:31:40)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to