General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User phawley
(newbie) Sat 29-Mar-14 21:37:49
Print Post

Plusnet, poor upload speed

[link to this post]

Hi all, first post so I hope I've put it in the correct place, if not please feel free to move it.
Story is I have just signed up to Plusnet fibre due to slow upload speeds on copper at 0.65 mbs,and download of around 6mbs, to my horror I found that my upload speed on FTTC is only 0.73mbs with a download speed of around 13mbs.
Considering that I have previously had uploads of just over 1mbs on copper I cannot understand why.
Plusnet have been of no use and just keep saying there is nothing they can do and that over a distance fibre will perform slower than copper due to the higher frequencies used, anyone offer any advise on this?

Just done an accurate check on distances and exchange to cabinet is 1.1miles and cabinet to home is 0.7miles.

Edited by phawley (Sat 29-Mar-14 21:54:46)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Mar-14 02:09:59
Print Post

Re: Plusnet, poor upload speed

[re: phawley] [link to this post]

What does this checker give as the estimates for your phone number? Best to paste the full results, editing out your phone number.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 30-Mar-14 02:10:18)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Mar-14 10:59:20
Print Post

0.7 miles radius, or plotting by the route the phone line takes?

ADSL2+ at 1.8 miles (approx 3km) is usually good for 8 Mbps, so maybe a sign of a poor line.
FTTC at 1.1km (approx 0.7 miles) will give around the 15 to 22 Mbps range for downloads, but the upload look low.

Was this an engineer install and when you remove your faceplate do all other telephone sockets in the home stop working?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User phawley
(newbie) Sun 30-Mar-14 11:22:44
Print Post

Hi thanks for your replys.
For some reason I cannot copy the results of that checker but it says that my upload should be between 0.8 and 1.7mbs.
Regarding the distance I checked the distance from the cabinet to my home with gps so that would have been the distance by road but Plusnet recon the actual distance to be 2.5km cabinet to home.
What puzzles me is that I have received over 1mbs on copper all the way so why should my upload be less when half of the distance is now fibre?
It was an engineer install and there are no other phone in the house apart from the one plugged into the master socket.

Edited by phawley (Sun 30-Mar-14 11:25:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Mar-14 14:13:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by phawley:
It was an engineer install and there are no other phone in the house apart from the one plugged into the master socket.
It doesn't matter how many phones you have, what matters is whether or not there are any extension sockets that a phone will work in once the faceplate of the master is removed.

Do you know if it was a real Openreach engineer, or was it a Kellys or Quinns subcontractor? They often don't test properly.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Icaras
(regular) Sun 30-Mar-14 14:29:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well the contractors can't test. They don't have an Exfo or JDSU tester.

That's why the situation is so stupid as if you are lucky enough to get an install from Openreach they HAVE to test the line on their tester.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Mar-14 14:33:09
Print Post

VDSL2 works differently to ADSL2+ hence the difference performance over longer distances

For 2.5km the upload speed is reasonable, but the download speed is exceptional, so actual line length may be between your estimate and the Plusnet one.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User phawley
(newbie) Sun 30-Mar-14 16:52:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok the only thing coming out of the master socket is one phone which is plugged in, no extentions at all.
I have just had to look up VDSL as I had never heard of it, does that mean that the signal travelling along the old wires from the cabinet is at a much higher frequency than with ADSL and that is why the signal is slower? if so is that it, no more can be done apart from going back to ADSL as I am paying for fibre speed and not getting it.
I know my download is faster but I never had a problem with 6mbs download the problem was just my upload when uploading photos to the web.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Mar-14 18:22:24
Print Post

Not "coming out of the master socket". That's not the question smile. Are there any extension sockets in the house?

Standard User phawley
(newbie) Sun 30-Mar-14 18:44:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

"No extensions at all"
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to