General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User maxima120
(newbie) Sun 30-Mar-14 21:23:18
Print Post

Is there comparison of fibre services speeds in peak times

[link to this post]

I finally got my cabinet enabled for the fibre. However being BE user for 8 yrs I am now a bit concerned on jumping ships. I never had any complaints on the BE speeds. For few months in 2008 or 9 they had troubles with US traffic - mostly it was changing routing several times a day. But other than that - it was a breeze.

Now my main concern for the internet service is stability and predictability. and NOT speed. I mainly use US traffic which is downstream and it is very small in size. But latency is paramount.

Again I do understand you cant beat speed of cable transmission between the continents but I want it predictable and I want ZERO packet drops whether it is 5am or 5pm.

I understand that BE is so good because it is off the mainstream.

Now if I am going to switch - I would like to see what is the mainstream providers speeds / latency / packet loss like DURING the day.

P.S. I know that the most obvious answer would - stay where you are. but I want to try new things. And I want to make sure the new thing is as good as the old one. So please help with the information not critics. Thank you
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Mar-14 21:33:45
Print Post

Re: Is there comparison of fibre services speeds in peak tim

[re: maxima120] [link to this post]

Would a ping or tracert to a US site you specify help?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User maxima120
(newbie) Sun 30-Mar-14 21:44:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I would appreciate that but can you be bothered to ping it for few hours ? (I am not sure what are the peak hours cos I never had any troubles - 5pm to 9pm?) I dont want to tax you for nothing smile

As you are quite a pro smile) (I remember your previous answers) could you perhaps just tell in your opinion - does it worth to switch to BT taking the said above as a reference point? or any other major provider..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Mar-14 22:02:17
Print Post

Well you've either got to stay with Sky or switch tongue smile.

I can do them a few times - in other words "when I remember". The number of them doesn't bother me.

I'm afraid I'm quite a light user. Apart from occasionally checking my BQM (link in my sig) for any signs of trouble I tend to potter about quite happily. US links and consistent latency to them I wouldn't have a clue about.

I would steer clear of BT Retail at the moment. There seems to be quite a bit of recent trouble. For instance this thread.

I'm on Plusnet Fibre Unlimited and very happy. Before that was IDNet FTTC and before that O2 LLU Standard.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User maxima120
(newbie) Sun 30-Mar-14 22:10:48
Print Post

thank you !! i will pm the ip.

how do you manage to get out of the contract - changing ISP so many time?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Mar-14 22:17:21
Print Post

I don't change often.

I left O2 in Feb 2011 after being with them a few years. At the end of my 12-month IDNet FTTC term I moved to Plusnet FTTC on an 18-month term as it was far cheaper, and have had no problems with them.

In Jan 2013, (so that 11 months into the 18), I upgraded to the latest "true unlimited" 80/20 FTTC package with them, which just meant restarting the 18 months. It expires in July, but I see no likelihood of my leaving them.

My phone line is with BT Retail. Not with Plusnet. I might move the phone to somewhere cheaper once my current 12 months on that expires. BT are becoming more and more of a rip-off shop.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 30-Mar-14 22:19:13)

Standard User maxima120
(learned) Sun 30-Mar-14 22:30:20
Print Post

Nice.

BT/British gas/BP etc they all are bullies. this is why i had happy life with BE and never looked back smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Mar-14 22:50:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
My phone line is with BT Retail. Not with Plusnet. I might move the phone to somewhere cheaper once my current 12 months on that expires. BT are becoming more and more of a rip-off shop.

Zen Home Talk Plus (one month contract) are the best bargain I ever came across to Zen. Far cheaper than BT. I only just join them last week. No problem switch over from BT. My broadband stay with Plusnet Fibre Unlimited.

Edited by adslmax (Sun 30-Mar-14 22:52:26)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Mar-14 22:57:15
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Yes, that's where I'm thinking of, but when the new charging for 1571 came in I had too much on my mind with other things so got into the BT 12 months to get whatever that gives free.

Print Thread

Jump to