General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 31-Mar-14 11:58:58
Print Post

Line Fault

[link to this post]

My phone has been out for nearly a week now but my Infinity is running along but at a reduced rate, the maximum rates have dropped from 110Mbut down 33Mbit up to 50Mbit down and 6Mbit up.

I am just wondering where on earth the fault is, i guess it has to be somewhere in the last bit of copper but if that's the case wouldn't the infinity pack in totally as well if the fault is enough to take out voice calls?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 31-Mar-14 12:02:12
Print Post

Re: Line Fault

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

Sounds like you may have only one wire of the pair from the cabinet to your master socket connected.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Mar-14 13:08:30
Print Post

As BatBoy says.

The phone needs both wires connected. Broadband can run crippled with just one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 31-Mar-14 13:37:39
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Not necessarily. It could be anywhere on the line even before the cabinet as that would present an out of balance and incorrect impedance at the point where voice and data a combined onto the same line.

Without knowing the before and after figures it is not easy to make a guess at where the fault lies.

BT will, however, know to within a few metres where the problem is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Mon 31-Mar-14 16:02:03
Print Post

Can you (and others) phone IN to your Land Line, getting right through to having a conversation?

It may be worth trying a Quiet Line Test also, to get more information about the condition of the line.

Option 2

And post the results here, so that we all benefit from the information.

Thanks

Edited by eckiedoo (Mon 31-Mar-14 16:03:24)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 31-Mar-14 18:01:23
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Can you (and others) phone IN to your Land Line, getting right through to having a conversation?

It may be worth trying a Quiet Line Test also, to get more information about the condition of the line.

Option 2

And post the results here, so that we all benefit from the information.

Thanks

Rather difficult to do that if the phone line is out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Mon 31-Mar-14 19:10:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

But that is precisely why I have asked the question - to confirm or otherwise, the condition from the Exchange end.

To quote yourself with my added emphasis-

"Rather difficult to do that IF the phone line is out!"

In degree to the extent that he has provided evidence, the phone line does not appear to be cut totally over the length used for ADSL, as he is still getting Broadband in varying degrees; but there is the short distance between the DSLAM (?) and the conventional phone equipment in the Exchange itself.

Is the Exchange equipment working and actually making connection to the (faulty) line;

or is the Exchange equipment faulty in itself?

Having that knowledge puts the OP in a stronger position in any discussions with BT etc.

And such a call or calls take very little time (plus little or no cost), especially as he apparently has a mobile phone to do it with.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Apr-14 06:22:03
Print Post

The quiet line test has to be initiated from the line being tested not a mobile, and if the line is dead he's not going to be able to make a call either

Although I think what you also want to know is what happens when the op phones in from his mobile.

Edited by R0NSKI (Tue 01-Apr-14 06:25:19)

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Tue 01-Apr-14 07:27:04
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Agreed 100% (or more, if possible) that the QLT has to be done on the Land Line concerned - and for all the time it takes, it is worth attempting to find out if there is any response/reaction within his conventional Land Line connections.

And in using the QLT, he is using a Test, supplied and used by BT; and thus recognised by BT.

The results that he gets from the QLT will help to clarify what he means by "My phone has been out for nearly a week".

Is that "dead", as in being cut or disconnected; or does it mean some lesser variant?

I have looked back; and whilst I have not stated explicitly to use his mobile to call IN - surely that is implicit - and could also be done from other land-lines (friends, relatives, neighbours etc); and of course, from his and other mobiles

Hence my emphasis on "IN".

"Can you (and others) phone IN to your Land Line, getting right through to having a conversation?"

I am trying to help him resolve the problem, by methods readily available to him (and others who may read the various posts on this forum), so that he is better prepared in any dealings with BT - and avoids unnecessary costs.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-Apr-14 08:08:24
Print Post

Oh, look at the date smile

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to