General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fluke36
(newbie) Mon 31-Mar-14 12:16:29
Print Post

Cabinet Checking?

[link to this post]

Good afternoon all,

I'd really appreciate someone's experience/thoughts/guidance/opinion on the following.

My local Exchange (based in Cullingworth, Bradford) was upgraded to accept orders for Fibre Broadband in late 2011. Needless to say, I was excited! Having spent the first 2 years in my new house experiencing speeds of around 1.5 - 2.5MB (after being used to around 14MB).

However, after many line checks and phone calls to BT, it seems that my Cabinet hasn't been upgraded? I'm assuming that it serves only around 40 properties (at the time of roll-out, it would have been only about 20 as I live in a new build) they will not deem it economically viable to do so?

Ok, I'm now a Champion for Superfast West Yorkshire (they have government funds to help rural areas get up to speed) and I need information on my cabinet .. so where do I go and who do I speak to? There are another 30-40 properties being built next to ours and surely if they use our cabinet then we are going to see another drop in speed?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 31-Mar-14 12:32:09
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Checking?

[re: fluke36] [link to this post]

I am a little confused, why does more properties being added to a cabinet slow you down?

That would only be the case with Virgin Media, for ADSL2+ based services you have a dedicated line all the way to the exchange. The exchange has LLU in it too, so multiple options for backhaul to avoid that being a major issue.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html if you use the address checker can help you find out which premises are connected.

Are you cabinet 7 by any chance?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fluke36
(newbie) Mon 31-Mar-14 12:36:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Apologies, probably my lack of understanding/knowledge on the subject. With the volume of properties, I was assuming that it may make it more 'economically viable" to upgrade the cabinet.

I am No.7 smile but when I've done the address checker, it's not telling me which properties are connected?

Edited by fluke36 (Mon 31-Mar-14 12:38:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 31-Mar-14 12:58:20
Print Post

Only 2 postcodes BD15 0DR and BD15 0FD

And a google image suggests maybe 20-30 properties making it the smallest cabinet on the exchange and potentially in the 3% of the project that will not see any improvements.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6025-superfast-we...

The job then is for you to use local knowledge to determine exact number of properties, what speeds they get now (i.e. door to door canvasing) and making the case for these properties to NOT be in the final 3%. Or put another way, why do these premises when plenty of other cabinets serving larger numbers of properties can be done, i.e. you are towards the wrong end of the value for money curve.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fluke36
(newbie) Mon 31-Mar-14 13:53:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

There are approx 50 properties in those postcodes (there are some flats) and to the fields to the left, there are another 30 properties going up .. however, which cabinet they'll be connected to, I have no idea.

I've already registered as a 'Champion' with Superfast West Yorkshire and I'm awaiting their material to be delivered before I start going door to door like some crazed salesman.

I'd just like to get in contact with BT or Openreach and ask them to asses the situation again .. in 2011, there were only around 5 of the 30 new builds actually built at the time, so the situation 'may' have changed. I mean, on average, how many properties would one cabinet service?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 31-Mar-14 14:20:47
Print Post

For it to stand a chance on the commercial scheme 200+

For the BDUK scheme depends on the schemes own priorities, other cabinets on that exchange are being enabled. So the scheme are the people to talk to in this case since they can give direction to BT, but be aware the projects main thrust is value for money.

Developer could have engaged with Openreach when starting their project to arrange more than the basic telephone service.

Print Thread

Jump to