General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Apr-14 14:53:27
Print Post

Move house/flat broadband check

[link to this post]

This website useful to check what broadband speed and if FTTC available in your post code search when moving other house or flat etc

post deleted (not very reliable one)

Edited by adslmax (Wed 02-Apr-14 15:49:11)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 02-Apr-14 15:33:56
Print Post

Re: Move house/flat broadband check

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

have tried it several times in different locations and the results are by no means definitive
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 02-Apr-14 15:35:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
This website useful to check what broadband speed and if FTTC available in your post code search when moving other house or flat etc

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/broadband-speed-in-my-are...

It has been discussed before; that site is RUBBISH - to put it politely.

One example: It quotes my London postcode as having an average of 2.6Mbps, considering most have FTTC and those who dont are on ADSL2+ with speeds in excess of 8Mbps ....

It also suggests I could get 120Mbps - I might if Virgin was available but it is not.

My Scottish postcode comes up with 14.87Mbps available - not bad for a postcode with ONE house and only ADSL Max at up to 8Mbps - actual is around 5.5 to 6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Apr-14 15:49:55
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I had removed it. Please closed this thread mod.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Apr-14 20:40:00
Print Post

I concur, it's useless, it says 4.22Mbps for me, even when I was on ADSL2+ I was getting around 11Mbps

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Apr-14 10:57:19
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Also, average given as 1.28Mbps and:

If the above speed does not meet your needs...
Superfast is not available
There's no plan to bring superfast broadband to properties in this area yet.

We've had it for years!

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Apr-14 11:07:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I had removed it. Please closed this thread mod.

I think the thread is quite useful as an indication of just how bad the facility is. We have read recently about how broadband speed now affects house prices and people are going to be making decisions influenced by these hopeless results. I think it's very bad and rightmove should either withdraw it or put a much more prominent disclaimer on it.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User flipdee
(member) Sat 05-Apr-14 18:38:14
Print Post

Could TBB not have a more accurate guesstimator® for postcode area based of their speed database?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Apr-14 18:45:14
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

We could feed back in results to an estimate and am working through ADSL, FTTC, Cable estimates.
There is also the reported connection speeds from Ofcom, but this has a max speed of 30 Mbps so of limited use for fast connections.

It is a lot of this work that is behind the extra information we can give for some fttc roll-out areas, i.e. when I have the time to do some double checking

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Apr-14 19:39:50
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

If you mean the tbb speed test results, then no, because loads of them are junk.

At least half of the ones from my own line in the last twelve months are garbage - hideously low for whatever reason. The reason always being down to something I have done that screwed it.

I have a friend three houses away on Sky LLU. He was getting 320kbps, detected by me when I was there and using it, and had been doing so for a year - since they moved in. I had a look at his wiring and it was way beyond my fixing it, with two NTE5s, burglar alarm wires in places, and a jumble of wires and joins stuffed into a gap between an added-in porch structure and he outside wall of the house.

He got a BT engineer in from Sky, free of charge, sorted! Over 5Mbps now, as it should be.

I can see 9 speed tests for my postcode. Three are Sky tests by me. Two are MASF and clearly weird/invalid, three are VM cable by the look of them and shouldn't be showing, one is Plusnet but isn't me and clearly has a major problem, and none of mine appear for some reason. Mine being the only ones that include valid results crazy.

As I look closer to the exchange I see various hideous results, such as a single Infinity 46.18/4.43, TalkTalk something at 1.7/0.81, closer still Plusnet at 42.42/13.83 (much closer than me getting this here and now).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to