General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jlowe74
(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 15:04:03
Print Post

Who to ask regarding an exchange being enabled?

[link to this post]

Hi

I have had no success contacting BT regarding my local exchange being enabled for BT Infinity, I am a long time Virgin customer and over the last few years I have seen my connection speed drop dramatically to a point where at peak times I am lucky to see download speeds of 1 - 3 meg.

Exchanges close to my area are already enabled or are due to be enabled this year however mine seems to have been left out of all plans

my exchange is CMBLAC

According to samknows I am 642 metres from the exchange I recently had BT Broadband installed and get 18meg down / 1 meg up which seems to work great even at peak times.

Now is there any way I can try and convince BT it should enable my exchange or find out if it will ever be in future plans.

Frustrated so much with Virgin and would love an alternative fibre connection.

Thanks in advance
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Apr-14 15:17:11
Print Post

Re: Who to ask regarding an exchange being enabled?

[re: jlowe74] [link to this post]

Given near blanket fibre coverage from Virgin Media for Blackheath (Oldbury) unlikely to see BDUK help.
Do you count as part of Birmingham City Council? Or part of a County Council.

The main focus is on getting those who have no fibre a choice of 1, rather than those with one choice a second choice now.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jlowe74
(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 15:24:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

Many thanks for your reply, I am part of Sandwell County Council, Oldbury is Enabled for BT Infinity and also has Virgin Media.

Also nearby Cradley Heath also has both BT infinity and Virgin Media.

All being under Sandwell County Council..

So annoying but I guess I either have to move or stick with [censored] from Virgin Media.

Thanks again for your reply

Edited by jlowe74 (Wed 02-Apr-14 15:33:07)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Apr-14 15:38:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by jlowe74:
I recently had BT Broadband installed and get 18meg down / 1 meg up which seems to work great even at peak times.
Why bother with fibre? You are getting nearly max speeds on ADSL, which, if you had fibre, it will soon reduce to ADSL speeds with all the crosstalk going on.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User jlowe74
(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 15:41:04
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by jlowe74:
I recently had BT Broadband installed and get 18meg down / 1 meg up which seems to work great even at peak times.
Why bother with fibre? You are getting nearly max speeds on ADSL, which, if you had fibre, it will soon reduce to ADSL speeds with all the crosstalk going on.

Because I need better upload speeds for streaming purposes and don't want to be stuck with adsl2+ forever
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Apr-14 16:00:10
Print Post

The other exchanges will have been done in the commercial roll-out, I.e. where BT tried to compete with Virgin Media using all its own money.

When spending public money they cannot deploy to areas with high levels of alternative provider coverage, there may be some cabinets where the overlap is low enough they can help to fund rollout.

Sandwell falls into a Black Country collective and https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah3sVRj... offers little information since the project is in the planning stages
http://admin.the-blackcountry.co.uk/Upload/01/Black%...

But its worth a look to see what they say for you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jlowe74
(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 16:04:49
Print Post

Thank you I will take a look

Also whats the website where I can see what cabinet I am connected to have googled it but cannot find it now :/
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Apr-14 16:08:55
Print Post

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

My money is on your not being within the scope of the project due to VM coverage

Standard User jlowe74
(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 17:21:07
Print Post

Thank you

It's annoying because perhaps if Virgin had competition in my area they might pull a finger out and actually fix the extreme utilization they have in my area and surrounding areas.
Standard User DoomWolf
(learned) Mon 14-Apr-14 12:39:24
Print Post

That's not much good to those of us with poor ADSL lines and no choice of Virgin. I live not far from jlowe74 (still in Sandwell but nearer to the Dudley border), but I'm connected to the Dudley exchange (CMDD) which is now apparently the largest exchange in the country with no fibre activated or planned.

The road I live in on (along with a another large development nearby) was built around 12 years ago and therefore doesn't have Virgin cable provision despite being in mainly Virgin-covered area. A few years ago Virgin made a big deal of saying they would fill in coverage gaps, so I asked them if they'd do my road. They said "no". I asked them again a couple of years later with the same answer.

As my line length is 5.5-6km, I'd managed to get a speed of just over 5 Mbps on Be by using a 3dB profile. As this has recently migrated to Sky due to the O2/Be takeover, I now have a 2 Mbps line! I suspect there's a fault to be addressed as my migration was a cock-up by Openreach (managed to connect my line to another property that required another engineer to fix), but I still don't expect to be pushing more than what I was getting on Be.

If the fact that this area has good Virgin coverage means that a BT fibre upgrade is unlikely (doesn't explain all the other exchanges locally and nationally that have both), then it seems I'll be stuck in the slow lane for the foreseeable future despite grand government promises of superfast broadband for all. I find it vaguely depressing reading about the fibre rollouts in rural areas when there are still many of us in major urban centres that are being left behind.

If I can't get Sky to instruct Openreach to try and fix my current slow speed then I have to question the point of even paying for internet access when services increasingly require much faster speeds. I guess my best choice will end up being moving house to an area with better provision.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to