General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User EViL3
(learned) Sun 06-Apr-14 01:14:32
Print Post

FTTC available in my area.. just not my road

[link to this post]

Hi Folks

I suspect this is probably quite a common question. But what do you do when BT has rolled out FTTC to your whole Exchange area, just not your road?

BT rolled out FTTC to the whole of Woolston about 18 months. I live on a "new" road/area that has been here for 2-3 years (at still being built expanded), yet BT completely missed us. I did some digging, sent emails to people high up in BT, and the feedback I got was this estate was not covered in the FTTC upgrade plans. I've also contacted the housing development company who just don't seem interested. I've got a couple of friends who work for an ISP, I asked if they had any contacts who could assist, but OpenReach being the goliath they are, they couldn't help either.

My own line has a bit of an odd installation history, as I moved into the house before BT has finished installing the phone cab for my road. So they wired my line into a cab further around the corner which IS actually FTTC enabled (fyi WOOLSTON is served by Cabinet 8.), but I've been told then won't offer it to me, as it could cause interference/noise for my neighbors phone lines.

Anybody got anything thoughts on what I can do? The obvious answer is move, but thats not really an option at the moment. So I was wondering if anybody has had similar issues and any success of getting this resolved.

Edited by EViL3 (Sun 06-Apr-14 01:41:43)

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Apr-14 01:47:50
Print Post

Re: FTTC available in my area.. just not my road

[re: EViL3] [link to this post]

What does this say when you put your number in?
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Connection Speed 24272 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.5 dB 5.5 dB
Noise Margin 0.3 dB 11.8 dB
Standard User EViL3
(learned) Sun 06-Apr-14 01:51:25
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

Hi SSeansmit17

Telephone Number ******** on Exchange WOOLSTON is served by Cabinet 8.

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

Its lying on the ADSL2+ speed, I do quite well out of this with 23Mb (with some router tweaking)..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Apr-14 11:44:35
Print Post

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.893994,-1.38066,3a...

That is your cabinet I believe, so how far do you think you are from it? If on the new build you look to be pretty close.

New builds so postcodes may be new, and several cabinets with overlapping coverage may mean your issue is actually a database based one, rather than a physical issue. If ISP is unable to escalate they email me Andrew@thinkbroadband.com will need full physical address telephone number and postcode to pass onto BT management for some checking after I've done some checking of my own.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fastman2
(learned) Sun 06-Apr-14 15:24:26
Print Post

sgguest yoy put some "pressure" on your developer to fund the cab -- developer may be more supprtive if devloper still in situ - will also depend on the developer

Is your cab at entrance to your development if so that suggest developer did not have any conversation around Fibre with openreach and only requested a voice service
Standard User EViL3
(learned) Sun 06-Apr-14 16:18:54
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

I've been trying to do this for a while, but had little success. You would think that they would see the benefit in this, especially as the "estate" is still being developed, its a hot selling point.
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Sun 06-Apr-14 16:34:48
Print Post

similar situation here - there was a few people pushing local council & developers and someone had setup local forum for estate. They have written to the local MP. a few times Recently the MP was willing to have a public meeting around the issue (and we had a plan on leaflet drop to get attendance up) but developers decided to fund upgrades, I guess they got a little worried about publicity (or maybe the planning permission for later phases)

Perhaps you should point out that it is likely to reduce the worth of their properties - Link and spend time ensuring correct speed on rightmove broadband checker.

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
  Print Thread

Jump to