General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fibreplease
(newbie) Sun 06-Apr-14 13:06:20
Print Post

Can the FTTC VDSL Modem be used for ADSL?

[link to this post]

Sorry, and an odd question perhaps. I have just moved house from a FTTC area to another FTTC area and I am just waiting for my ADSL to be activated before I can then order FTTC. It has been a frustrating process to say the least.

A 6 week wait for the phone line to be installed, after which a Openreach contractor arrived to tell me that my line isn't ready to be connected (new build property). Proper Openreach engineer then turned up later in the day and just connected me up. Apparently the first one had jointed my line to one of the unfinished properties nearby...

Anyway, whilst I wait for my ADSL to be activated (it was suppose to be activated when the phone line was installed, but the 1st engineer cancelled it) I was wondering if I can use my old VDSL modem for ADSL service?

I'm familiar with setting up a bridged ADSL modem over PPPoE, as this is how I used to do it before FTTC. This was with a different ISP (Xilo) though.

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre @ 75Mbps
Netgear WNDR3700

Freeserve --> Eclipse --> UKOnline --> Xilo/Uno --> Plusnet
Standard User ToneDeaf
(member) Sun 06-Apr-14 13:36:05
Print Post

Re: Can the FTTC VDSL Modem be used for ADSL?

[re: fibreplease] [link to this post]

You can certainly hack the HG612 firmware and configure the modem to connect to ADSL.

see - http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com

also - http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=Huawei_HG612

Zen Fibre Active 30/5
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Apr-14 15:03:05
Print Post

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

IIRC the unlocked version is configured for all modes, and the statement from asbokid was all he's modified was getting rid of the lock. So I think there's a fair chance it would train down as standard.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 06-Apr-14 15:35:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks both. I only have the ECI modem, so I'll use the TP-Link 1 port ADSL2+ modem/router I've got here instead. I guess that'll work with Plusnet ADSL.

Netgear WNDR3700

Standard User ToneDeaf
(member) Sun 06-Apr-14 17:33:08
Print Post

The ECI modem can be hacked also - http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/2012/04/11/t...

However - on re-examining the link above this does require use of a soldering iron!! Easier to buy an HG612 from Ebay!

On my HG612 - by default, all of the WAN boxes in the WAN GUI menu were ticked (VDSL2, ADSL, etc.) therefore the device should auto train to the appropriate xDSL signal.

However, if you were changing ISP the modem would have to be hacked in order to insert new login details.

Zen Fibre Active 30/5

Edited by ToneDeaf (Sun 06-Apr-14 17:40:20)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Apr-14 18:54:29
Print Post

If I'm right and the Huawei is configured as standard for all modes, I expect the ECI is as well.

As you have an ADSL modem anyway, I don't suppose it matters, but all you have to do is plug the ECI in and see what happens smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Sun 06-Apr-14 22:59:22
Print Post

Once the DSL light finally blinks into life on this TP-Link I'll power up the ECI to see if it works. I'm getting really fed up of 3G right now.

Using Three at about 3Mbps is a world away from 75Mbps FTTC. O2 is even more of a joke here, full signal HSDPA barely gets me 500Kbps. Vodafone is GPRS only too. 4G, yeah whatever!

Netgear WNDR3700

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 07-Apr-14 00:02:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by fibreplease:
... O2 is even more of a joke here, full signal HSDPA barely gets me 500Kbps. Vodafone is GPRS only too. 4G, yeah whatever!

That is at least 495k better than I get up in Scotland. Most of the time it is nothing but occasionally I might get some data!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(newbie) Tue 15-Apr-14 11:05:57
Print Post

I'm finally connected. ADSL doesn't sync on the ECI so using the TP-Link instead.

Pretty happy with the outcome in so far as I now have a new master socket with filtered faceplate by the front door. Then the ADSL modem is connected via the IDC connector on the faceplate. I have a cat5 cable run inside the wall terminating at a rj45 socket in the under-stairs cupboard.

Now to get the fibre order in...

Netgear WNDR3700

Print Thread

Jump to