General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rob54
(committed) Sun 06-Apr-14 22:08:08
Print Post

Silly question

[link to this post]

An older person I know has BT broadband. It seems she is to have Infinity even though she happy with ordinary BB and doesn't want it (yeh I'm confused too)! She had Infinity before moving there 6 months ago, only a few streets away.

Anyway as far as I can tell they are sending her a "BT Infinity Hub" that they want her to connect, telling her it is easy. She's asked me if I can help as she doesn't understand. She says all they (BT as far as she's concerned) are doing is connecting at the green street cabinet. As far as I am aware, Openreach need to come into her home to install the OR socket for fibre and the OR modem (unless they already have - not sure). I know that the Hub then connects to the modem and then onto the computer.

If she already has a fibre socket, can her current BT Hub work off it? Whatever it is obviously works as I had an email today from her. Would they ask for a customer to connect a OR modem as well, if the right socket was there as well as the Hub? I presume the Hub for fibre is different to a ADSL Hub.

Confusing I know, sorry!

--------------------------------------------------------------
Win XP (SP3) Home, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5
Website hosting & Domain name provider - Dream-Hosting
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Apr-14 22:14:29
Print Post

Re: Silly question

[re: rob54] [link to this post]

Infinity 1 (40/10) is now self-install, with no separate modem. The BT HH5 contains a VDSL/ADSL modem - just like ADSLx modem/routers that we all call routers most of the time.

In theory it can be connected to any socket, using a dangly filter. In practice, it is best with the Openreach VDSL interstitial faceplate on the master and the HH5 plugged into that.

You say she already has a fibre socket. Do you mean a VDSL filter was fitted for the previous occupant? If so, just connect the HH5 into it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Apr-14 22:15:47
Print Post

Infinity can be self install, i.e. you use micro filters and plug the HH5 in just like you would with an ADSL router now

They don't automatically upgrade people as there is usually a cost implication, but if they had infinity before it may be the upgrade was pre agreed for when Infinity became available.

The Home Hub 5 works for both ADSL2+ and VDSL2

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rob54
(committed) Sun 06-Apr-14 22:28:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Infinity can be self install, i.e. you use micro filters and plug the HH5 in just like you would with an ADSL router now

They don't automatically upgrade people as there is usually a cost implication, but if they had infinity before it may be the upgrade was pre agreed for when Infinity became available.

The Home Hub 5 works for both ADSL2+ and VDSL2

OK possible I suppose. I know she asked BT before moving about transferring and was told fibre was not available even though only a few streets away. She told me a few weeks ago it was available.

Win XP (SP3) Home, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5
Standard User rob54
(committed) Sun 06-Apr-14 22:38:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Infinity 1 (40/10) is now self-install, with no separate modem. The BT HH5 contains a VDSL/ADSL modem - just like ADSLx modem/routers that we all call routers most of the time.

In theory it can be connected to any socket, using a dangly filter. In practice, it is best with the Openreach VDSL interstitial faceplate on the master and the HH5 plugged into that.

You say she already has a fibre socket. Do you mean a VDSL filter was fitted for the previous occupant? If so, just connect the HH5 into it.

Ah the single box (router/hub) would explain it then! I don't know if she actually does have a fibre socket from the previous occupant or not. But it seems from what you say, as long as OR connect the cabinet, it doesn't matter if there is a VDSL socket or not. If an ordinary socket can be used, why do (did) OR fit a special socket. Is it (was it) to do with the separate modem?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Apr-14 22:48:32
Print Post

They did the same sort of thing in the early days of ADSL. Just to eliminate the usual nasties associated with bad home wiring. Note that the 80/20 service (Infinity 2) is still an engineer install, as good wiring is important for those speeds.

Self-install has only been available from Openreach since January.

Best for performance would be to get an Openreach VDSL filter off Amazon and just install that for her, (it's dead easy), but any filter will do including normal filtered master or extension faceplate ones.

No doubt there is a dangly with the HH5.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User rob54
(committed) Sun 06-Apr-14 23:21:16
Print Post

Thanks very much. Hopefully I won't need the VDSL filter - good to know about it though. The two connections on the left of the socket you show - is that for extension wiring? Not sure if she has an extension to her bedroom. I know when I fitted our ADSL Nation filtered faceplate, I had to remake the extension connections to the back of the filtered faceplate.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 06-Apr-14 23:38:02
Print Post

It might be that she was in contract for Infinity before moving and now that it is available at the new house they are putting her back to where she was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Apr-14 23:51:47
Print Post

As long as she doesn't currently have a filtered faceplate, (which you could simply connect the HH5 to anyway!), the OR VDSL plate doesn't need any remaking of connections.

It fits like the old iPlate. Take off the faceplate, plug in the filter plate, replace the faceplate using the longer screws provided with the filter plate.

What socket I show, where?

Standard User rob54
(committed) Mon 07-Apr-14 00:01:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What socket I show, where?

In the Amazon link!

Win XP (SP3) Home, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Avast Free AntiVirus 8.0, Outpost firewall 6.5
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to