General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cram
(newbie) Mon 07-Apr-14 00:02:51
Print Post

Will the cabinet ever be upgraded?

[link to this post]

Hi, my exchange was upgraded to FTTC last year and every street next to me and the surrounding area are connected to cabinets that have been upgraded to FTTC. The one cabinet that has not been upgraded is the one that my street is connected to (in the middle of a capital city)! To add insult to injury, every other street in the area also has virgin media cable!!

Cabinet 47. Roath exchange. Postcode CF10 4NF.

The ADSL checker says nothing at all about Fibre. Will it ever be upgraded? Is there any way to find out now that NGA are not replying to enquiries anymore? If I order a new telephone line what are the chances I can get it connected from one of the upgraded cabinets that everyone else is connected to?
Standard User Fastman2
(learned) Mon 07-Apr-14 14:14:38
Print Post

Re: Will the cabinet ever be upgraded?

[re: cram] [link to this post]

there is not option to mugrate from one cab to another for improvement of broadband
suggest you see if covered by superfast cymru if not see if your community / developer if recent build will fund
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Apr-14 14:31:50
Print Post

This might be the cabinet
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.470972,-3.164818,3...

Down to Superfast Cymru I suspect and as its not rural the pressure from campaigners might see you missed out for a long time. The area does show as having Virgin Media coverage which may rule out public money depending on the actual level of coverage by cable in the cabinet foot print.

A good number of larger cabinets on this exchange without FTTC too, and also some smaller ones.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hippyharry
(regular) Tue 08-Apr-14 16:04:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This cabinet looks like it was part of the original fibre roll out plan, so there must be a reason as to why it was pulled.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Apr-14 17:22:19
Print Post

[re: hippyharry] [link to this post]

Do another cab elsewhere because someone pleaded in a loud fashion?

Or possibly someone objected to a planning application

Or that grass needs a wayleave and price was too high from the land owner

If coverage of Virgin is near to 100% on the cab area then no chance of Gov doing anything.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cram
(newbie) Wed 09-Apr-14 00:49:15
Print Post

Thanks for the replies.

How can you tell that the cabinet was part of the original fibre roll out plan? Is there any chance it will be done now that the BT commercial roll out is coming to an end in spring 2014? Will BT still be upgrading a few cabinets here and there after that date?

Virgin cover all of the surrounding area, but none of the properties connected to that cab as far as i'm aware.

I contacted Superfast Cymru (BDUK) and they said today that the cabinet wasn't being covered by BDUK or BT's commercial roll out. Are they likely to have up-to-date facts with regards to the commercial roll out? I'm hoping they were wrong about that and BT will still do it (clutching at straws…)
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Wed 09-Apr-14 09:54:34
Print Post

Cram

If you think you can get 60-100 people to register interest in having FTTC from that cab, that is the way to go. The more that register the more likely it is to be added in. As the area has Virgin BT would expect the takeup to be low. But many of the blocks of flats may not have been cabled. From the Cabinets Andrew has identified I suspect all the houses along the roo have Virgin so are unlikely to want FTTC.
Standard User hippyharry
(regular) Wed 09-Apr-14 13:42:24
Print Post

I only assumed it was part of the initial roll out following the data given out here

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=9...

If that link doesnt work, try https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm then enter your postcode and select "Lookup Postcode". Then under the map, click on P47 which will list all the postcodes that cabinet covers and you will see a note that FTTC was planned by 2011 in there.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Apr-14 14:29:47
Print Post

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php
The old 2011 data does have the cabinet in its list.

I also have found some more recent info suggesting it may still be on the plans. Maybe this is a problematic cabinet for reasons unknown or has slipped back into the roll-out through the £50m infill announcement a few months ago.

Standard User Fastman2
(regular) Wed 09-Apr-14 16:14:36
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

as prevfously advises the 2011 leaked list was an initial decisoioning list not a defacto list so there will have been exchanges / cab inclusions / delections as the final declisioning was complreted - there are realistically only provisionally only two ways the cab will be eanbled either by BDUK (if covered by BDUK) or by private funding (gap funding) by devloper / Community contractuallywith openreach

Edited by Fastman2 (Wed 09-Apr-14 16:16:33)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to