General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adrian109
(regular) Mon 07-Apr-14 12:30:58
Print Post

Configuring HG612 VDSL Modem for use with BT Infinity

[link to this post]

I have just bought myself an unlocked HG612 from a well known online auction site. I have just asked the seller whether I need to do any configuration with it to work with BT Infinity or whether its pretty much plug and play.

His response was:

The modem has been reset to factory defaults, so it should be more or less plug-and-go - much the same as when the Openreach engineer installed it, except you can now look inside and change the configuration. BT isn't my ISP so I can't just say yes or no, but I've sold a few of these and nobody has reported any problems, so I assume it "just works", or maybe requires minimal configuration.

The unlock survives a reset OK and is pretty robust, but you might want to disable the TR069 interface so it can't be updated remotely.

I don't know how techy-minded you are, so a word of caution - you can alter pretty much anything, so make sure you understand what you are changing. For instance, there are a number of firewall levels you can select, but do NOT select the BT firewall - that will block LAN2 again and you've locked yourself out. Special care if you're using telnet; you have root access so it's possible to delete something critical, and if you tell it to do something silly it won't ask you "Are you sure?" !

This begs the question - Do I need to bother disabling the TR069 (or I think it might be called CWMP on the web interface) and if so how do I go about doing it?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Apr-14 12:36:38
Print Post

Re: Configuring HG612 VDSL Modem for use with BT Infinity

[re: adrian109] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adrian109:
Do I need to bother disabling the TR069 (or I think it might be called CWMP on the web interface) and if so how do I go about doing it?

If you disable the remote management BTagent, then you won't get any firmware updates. This means you can keep the web interface that lets you set the second ethernet IP.

However the firmware updates CAN be good news, they increased a lot of people's sync speeds and reduced error counts.

So its your call.

Try this page:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?board=5.0

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User adrian109
(regular) Mon 07-Apr-14 12:40:24
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by adrian109:
Do I need to bother disabling the TR069 (or I think it might be called CWMP on the web interface) and if so how do I go about doing it?

If you disable the remote management BTagent, then you won't get any firmware updates. This means you can keep the web interface that lets you set the second ethernet IP.

However the firmware updates CAN be good news, they increased a lot of people's sync speeds and reduced error counts.

So its your call.

Try this page:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?board=5.0

If I was to reset it back to the BT default and allow for remote updates is there anyway I could access the sync speed stats?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Apr-14 13:18:01
Print Post

It sounds like it is already configured to receive updates and access the stats. It may have the older unlocked firmware so it may auto update, but you will still have telnet access, but not the Web page. There is a later firmware on the kitz site which has the newer firmware and the webpage.

Standard User adrian109
(regular) Mon 07-Apr-14 13:27:08
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

The modem is running firmware version A2pv6C035m.d22g - Is that the latest version?
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Apr-14 13:45:54
Print Post

I was going to say that was the old firmware, but I'm not so sure, looking at this post which is the latest hacked firmware I'm aware of he staets that the new blob is A2pv6C035m.d22g.

Now here's the but, my modem is reporting firmware A2pv6C038m.d24g which appears to be newer.

Ah, it looks like he may have just typed the wrong number according to this post A2pv6C038m.d24g is the latest, which you can download from the link above.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 07-Apr-14 15:12:50)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Apr-14 15:23:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Ah, it looks like he may have just typed the wrong number according to this post A2pv6C038m.d24g is the latest, which you can download from the link above.

Could you be a bit more specific about where to download it from because I can't find it? I also have A2pv6C038m.d22g and the stats program still says "NOTE: The modem has *NOT* been updated with the October 2013 Firmware"

Thanks

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Apr-14 15:46:52
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

The first link in my last post links to this post on Kitz, within that post is is a link to where the various modified firmwares can be downloaded from. The ones with the GUI added back are located in the folder named experimental.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Apr-14 16:03:04
Print Post

OK, I hadn't tried the "experimental" ones. I've just done that and the version still shows as A2pv6C038m.d22g. I'm updating the firmware from within the GUI (Maintenance/Device/Firmware Upgrade) - does this actually work? It appears to.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Apr-14 16:28:41
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Unfortunately it's never worked from the GUI, you have to do it the same way you hacked it in the first place. Google hacking HG612 if you need the instructions. The experimental ones are perfectly ok to use if you want to keep the gui.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 07-Apr-14 16:29:32)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to