General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PaulieM
(learned) Tue 08-Apr-14 14:02:30
Print Post

If I can get Sky Fibre, does that mean I can get BT Fibre?

[link to this post]

I'm just about to buy a house which currently has a SKY Fibre broadband connection. I was planning to get a Zen Fibre line but the BT checker says that the address does not have any fibre optic connectivity.

Does this mean that it is a SKY LLU area and SKY have their own fibre equipment in place, or is it just a case of moving the line back to BT?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Apr-14 14:12:01
Print Post

Re: If I can get Sky Fibre, does that mean I can get BT Fibr

[re: PaulieM] [link to this post]

Sky in 99.9999% of the UK only sell fibre via Openreach where available, which means it will be available from Zen and BT too.

If you used the phone number that will fail on the checkers, due to it being a full LLU.

If you used postcode, PLUS house address then it should give an accurate response.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulieM
(learned) Tue 08-Apr-14 14:16:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You are right, I was doing a postcode only search before and not coming up with much.

Postcode plus house number and road name gives result of Fibre being available. Thanks for your help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flipdee
(member) Tue 08-Apr-14 20:18:07
Print Post

[re: PaulieM] [link to this post]

Your best bet is to check for Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) availabilty using the BTWholesale checker regardless of the provider your wanting to go for.
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
More and More people I speak to are saying, Sky fibre are quoting me this speed but BT Infinity are telling me this?
For goodness sake, how complicated is it to inform the general public of a technology without confusing the hell out of them, but hooray, congratulations UK ISP's (I blame BTRetail) you have well and truly succeeded!

The variable bit is how good/cheap the ISP, TalkTalk/PlusNet/Sky etc etc are at getting you adequately fast service up to the "capability" of the BTWholesale connection, as estimated by the above DSLchecker website.
It would even make sense for BTWholesale to include the above paragraph or something similar on that chuffing checker website.

Edited by flipdee (Tue 08-Apr-14 20:19:07)

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Apr-14 19:41:43
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

They were using the BT wholesale checker. It only works with BT Wholesale phone numbers. (So you need to use address checker)

Kris

BT Infinity 2
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
  Print Thread

Jump to