General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User County_Fan
(newbie) Tue 08-Apr-14 17:33:16
Print Post

Cabinet question/when will I get fibre optic/dire speeds

[link to this post]

Hi, I was hoping you guys could help me find out what cabinet I'm connected to so I can find out when I''ll be able to get fibre optic.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html Isn't showing that I'm connected to a cabinet at all. "Telephone Number 01463****** on Exchange INVERNESS CULLODEN"

I'm connected to the Culloden(Inverness) exchange which recently has started "accepting orders" for infinity but after entering my phone number, I can't get it.

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Invern...
Speeds are generally fine during the morning/early afternoon(4-7mb) but in peak times I'm getting anything from 0.3-1 which makes it completely unusable. Tried phoning BT about this to find out whats going on but they said they cannot help or escalate it because the issues are during peak times only. Problem has been going on for at least 4-5 months now and sick of it.

Edited by County_Fan (Tue 08-Apr-14 17:37:31)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Apr-14 18:22:20
Print Post

Re: Cabinet question/when will I get fibre optic/dire speeds

[re: County_Fan] [link to this post]

In your case (assuming you are the same person as who emailed) the line looks to be exchange only along with a high proportion of other lines on that exchange.

http://www.digitalscotland.org/superfast-broadband/r... has you as in their intervention area so down to that project to determine the solution and whether you will be in the 85% to see improvements.

In terms of broadband speeds, the upgrades will not change that, presuming that the issue is contention/congestion rather than the actual ADSL modem connecting at slower speeds at night. It is possible that the upgrades for some on the exchange are part of the cause for your slow speed at night, as people are possibly doing an awful lot more than usual.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User County_Fan
(newbie) Tue 08-Apr-14 18:29:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, I also emailed you back.

What can I do about this? BT(my isp) refused to get in touch with openreach about the exchange circumstances as it was only during peak times. Can't find anyway to get in touch with them for an update.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Apr-14 18:39:01
Print Post

[re: County_Fan] [link to this post]

The cabinet with a mast next to it, might be TPON or nothing to do with the phones.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.497646,-4.122542,3... is cabinet 1 and the picture shows an old cabinet with a newer model of the same thing next to it. This might be to cope with the Exchange Only/TPON in the area in the future.

Your fate is in the hands of the Superfast Scotland project, which is a mixture of Scottish Government and BT, and best to go via the project in the first instance

The exchange congestion if its that (and if speed tests are good in the morning then probably is) is nothing to do with Openreach, but BT Wholesale. TalkTalk and Sky performance may be better in the evening, a case of comparing information from friends on the same exchange

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User County_Fan
(newbie) Tue 08-Apr-14 19:48:52
Print Post

Thanks for the info, I've just emailed them.
Standard User Neifo
(newbie) Wed 16-Apr-14 07:17:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The cabinet with a mast next to it, might be TPON or nothing to do with the phones.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.497646,-4.122542,3... is cabinet 1 and the picture shows an old cabinet with a newer model of the same thing next to it. This might be to cope with the Exchange Only/TPON in the area in the future.

Your fate is in the hands of the Superfast Scotland project, which is a mixture of Scottish Government and BT, and best to go via the project in the first instance

The exchange congestion if its that (and if speed tests are good in the morning then probably is) is nothing to do with Openreach, but BT Wholesale. TalkTalk and Sky performance may be better in the evening, a case of comparing information from friends on the same exchange

That old cabinet was removed a couple of years ago and a new FTTC cabinet has been installed just around the corner where that other tree is. It has been accepting orders since mid march.
  Print Thread

Jump to