General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dfarbey
(newbie) Tue 08-Apr-14 20:58:51
Print Post

Changing from BT Infinity - will service improve

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and I have a question about how fibre broadband services work.

I know that compared to some parts of the country, where we live (north London) has very good fibre broadband provision. We currently have BT Infinity Broadband (FTTC), and the speeds are fine when it works, but it frequently simply stops working. We have had frequent visits from BT engineers, after which the broadband has worked for a few days and then disappeared again. There are also recurring problems with the landline.

I'd like to understand what would actually change if we changed fibre broadband provider. To what extent do other providers rely on BT equipment at the exchange, or on BT fibre to the cabinet in the street, or on BT copper wire from the cabinet to my home?

Thanks for your help,

David
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 08-Apr-14 21:02:04
Print Post

Re: Changing from BT Infinity - will service improve

[re: dfarbey] [link to this post]

Recurring problems with the landline and broadband disappears ... sounds as though te problem is somewhere between you and the cabinet or possibly you and the exchange.

If you change provider, those links will not change so nothing will improve.

Have you reported it to BT as a voice fault? and have they responded?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User dfarbey
(newbie) Tue 08-Apr-14 22:17:32
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

We have reported our recurring proroblems to BT frequently and often, engineers have visited and inspected and repaired and declared everything to be fine, which it clearly isn't.

I resent paying money to BT for poor phone and broadband service (and atrocious so-called "customer service")

Thanks

David

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Apr-14 22:24:20
Print Post

The question is, what have you been reporting?

Your best chance of a resolution is if you can prove a voice fault, and report that. Without mentioning broadband at all.

Have you ever done the Quiet line test using preferably a corded phone into the test socket, (on the wall at the back in this pic)? It's 17070 Option 2.

If you have any noise, that's what you report. As I said, do not mention any broadband troubles. If there is a phone fault, correcting it nearly always sorts out the broadband anyway.

Edit - to get to the test socket when you have FTTC/Infinity you need to remove both faceplates - see this page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 08-Apr-14 22:26:25)

Standard User dfarbey
(newbie) Wed 09-Apr-14 08:29:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for the instructions, I will try the "quiet test" as you suggest. I certainly didn't realise that there was a second "test socket" hidden behind the first "test socket"!

Thanks

David
Standard User flipdee
(member) Wed 09-Apr-14 09:17:13
Print Post

RobertoS gave you good advice, just a little technical insight into what this test achieves (if you didn't already know).
In a conventional BT installation all extension sockets are wired into the rear of the front removable faceplate.
By removing all faceplates, and plugging into the hidden telephone socket, this "should" take the internal telephone wiring out of the loop and prove that the fault doesn't exist on your internal cabling (which in most cases isn't BT's problem and can invoke a call out charge.)
Obviously we don't live in an ideal world and the above scenario can be totally wrong depending on how messed up your phone wiring is.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Apr-14 13:41:23
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flipdee:
Obviously we don't live in an ideal world and the above scenario can be totally wrong depending on how messed up your phone wiring is.
And it's probably worth pointing out that a lot of problems can be traced back to internal wiring issues although presumably fewer with FTTC due to engineer install requirement. Still it'a always worth bearing in mind that the more you slag off another person the more likely it is that the fault will turn out to be yours laugh

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User flipdee
(member) Wed 09-Apr-14 13:45:48
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Was I slagging someone else off?
  Print Thread

Jump to